Who else could be eligible for CARE?
- Homeless shelters
- Women's shelters
- Group living facilities, including:
- Transitional housing, such as drug rehab centers or halfway houses
- Short- or long-term care facilities
- Group homes for the physically or mentally challenged
- Other nonprofit group living facilities
Other nonprofit group facility requirements
- Group living facilities must provide special needs social services in addition to lodging. Examples include meals and rehabilitation.
- Group facilities may have satellite facilities in the name of one licensed entity.
- These satellite facilities must meet the same requirements as the main facility.
- Group facilities must notify PG&E if they no longer qualify for the CARE discount.
- Homeless shelters, hospices and women's shelters must:
- Provide lodging as their primary function
- Be open for operation
- Have facilities with at least six beds for a minimum of 180 days and/or nights per year
Total gross income for all residents or clients must meet current income guidelines.
- The income applies to individuals who occupy the facility at any time. This includes family units.
- On-site aid is excluded from this calculation.
One licensed organization, multiple facilities
Separate applications must be filed for each type of facility. This rule applies even if the facilities are under one licensed organization.
- For example, an entity with a homeless shelter and a hospice facility must apply separately for each facility.
The organization that operates the facility must provide a copy of the 501(c)(3) document. This document certifies tax-exempt status.
Energy usage requirements
70 percent of the energy supplied to each PG&E account must be used for residential purposes. The purpose includes common-use areas.
Which facilities are not eligible for CARE?
- Nonprofit facilities that provide only social services
- Group living facilities that provide no service other than a place to live
- Government-owned or operated facilities
- Government-subsidized facilities that only provide lodging
Steps to enroll
- Download the CARE Nonprofit group living facilities program application (PDF).
- Forms in languages other than English can be found in the "Forms and Guides" tab.
- Complete and sign the application.
- Mail or fax the application and required documents to:
PG&E CARE/FERA program
PO BOX 29647
Oakland, CA 94604-9647
Renew your CARE certification
Organizations must recertify every four years by completing a new application and attaching proof of the following items:
A copy of your currently valid Federal 501(c)(3) tax exemption document with the same name as the PG&E account(s)
A copy of your license to provide social service by the appropriate agency
A complete list of your facility's PG&E accounts (See Section 5 of the application)
PG&E sends a renewal application three months before the discount expires. Your organization can reapply for the CARE program if it still qualifies under the current CARE program eligibility program.
To request an application by mail, email to CAREandFERA@pge.com.