Learn about caller identification (ID) scams
PG&E customers report telephone scams with calls that show PG&E on the caller ID 1-800-743-5000. The callers tell customers that they owe past-due balances or are eligible for a federal tax refund. PG&E is not making these calls. We never ask for your financial information over the phone. False financial requests like this should be treated as scams. The PG&E Corporate Security Department and the authorities are investigating this scam.
Take action against caller ID scams
If you have doubts about an incoming call from PG&E, hang up and call the PG&E Customer Service number: 1-800-743-5000.
Avoid scams targeting Hispanic businesses
Hispanic business customers report telephone scams warning that their electric service will be disconnected unless they make a payment through a prepaid cash card such as the Green Dot card. PG&E is not making these calls. We never ask for an immediate payment with a prepaid cash card over the phone or in person. False financial requests like this should be treated like scams.
View more information about scams targeting Hispanic businesses. Visit PG&E Warns Customers of Telephone Scam Targeting Hispanic Businesses.
Protect yourself against email scams
PG&E customers report receiving suspicious emails that appeared to be bills sent by PG&E. These bills are fictitious and should be treated like scams.
View more information about email scams. Visit PG&E Warns of Scam Emails, Calls.
Guard against potential loss from scams
The following are tips to help protect you from potential scams:
- Safeguard your personal information and credit card numbers by avoiding giving the information out over the phone. If you gave someone your credit card or checking account information over the phone, report it to the credit card company or bank and law enforcement.
- Beware of emails requesting your personal information. PG&E takes your security very seriously. We do not email anyone requesting that they provide personal information without first logging into your online PG&E account or calling us.
- Call PG&E at 1-800-743-5000 if you're concerned about the legitimacy of a call about a past due bill, service request or request for personal information
- Ask to see identification before letting anyone who claims to be a PG&E representative inside your home. PG&E employees always carry their identification and are always willing to show it to you.
- Call the PG&E Customer Service line at 1-800-743-5000 if a person claiming to be an employee shows identification and you still feel uncomfortable. We will verify an appointment and/or the presence of PG&E in the community. If you still feel threatened, notify local law enforcement.
- Expect to receive an automated call from PG&E 48 hours before a scheduled visit. You may also receive a personal call from a PG&E gas service representative before a scheduled visit.
- Learn more about protecting your home or business. Visit Verify PG&E contact.