Save and optimize with the PG&E Retrocommissioning (RCx) Program
Improve equipment, lighting and control system performance
Retrocommissioning (RCx) is fine-tuning existing buildings and systems in order to make them operate optimally and more efficiently through scheduling, sequencing, controls programming, and optimizing set points. While retrofitting involves replacing outdated equipment, RCx focuses on improving the efficiency of what is already in place. RCx projects can make a positive difference in your facility’s work environment. They can also extend the service life of your equipment.
The PG&E Retrocommissioning (RCx) Program offers business solutions and connects you with experts to ensure that your facilities, and the equipment and systems within them, are running in peak condition for optimal energy savings. Get more info about the program.Download the RCx Fact Sheet Retrocommissioning Program (PDF, 335 KB)
Discover RCx program benefits
PG&E pays you directly, based on achieved annual energy savings at $0.06/kWh, $0.50/therm and $75/on-peak kW, subject to measure capping. These energy savings are estimates, and PG&E pays you final amounts after completing the project approval process.
PG&E engineering resources provide limited support to verify that the RCx measures were installed per industry best practices. We also provide resources to identify and analyze other energy-saving opportunities involving demand response, retrofitting and benchmarking projects.
Learn about eligibility and project requirements
- You must be a PG&E business customer and pay the Public Purpose Program (PPP) charge on your electric and/or natural gas energy statement.
- Complete the current PG&E Customized Incentives and Automated Demand Response Incentive Program application.
Download the Calculated Incentives for Energy Efficiency and Automated Demand Response Program Application (PDF, 1.1 MB)
- Email or mail your application form to your PG&E representative, or mail your completed form to the address on the application.
- If project goes through Investigative Audit, customer must own or operate a high-energy usage facility that has at least 50,000 square feet of conditioned space and that consumes 1,000,000 kWh or 50,000 therms per year.
- Be willing, in some cases, to spend up to $25,000 on all reasonable and eligible RCx measures identified as having a simple payback in less than or equal to one year.
- If needed, be willing to spend typically between 8-16 hours documenting the facility's energy usage involving multiple site visits.
- Grant PG&E access to the facility's billing data to establish an initial benchmark rating.
- If needed, allow access to the facility for ongoing program assessment, monitoring and measurement purposes.
The company is offering a loan deferral program for business customers with an active On-Bill Financing (OBF) loan under PG&E's Energy Efficiency Financing program.
We encourage you to call PG&E before submitting your application and other required documentation. Contact your PG&E Account Representative or call the Business Customer Service Center at 1-800-468-4743. After you talk to a PG&E representative, complete, sign and email, FAX or mail your application.
PG&E's Energy Centers provide professional training, a robust tool-lending library, on-demand courses and real-time access to industry experts, all at no cost.