Urgent Alert


Understanding PG&E claims policy and process

Submit a claim online.

Learn how to file a claim with us

It is PG&E’s policy to respond to claims promptly and fairly. We evaluate each claim based on the information you provide and our investigation. The time to investigate your claim will depend on the information you provide and the complexity of the incident.


Timing and considerations:

  • You may submit a claim if you believe that PG&E caused a loss for which you should be compensated. 
  • Once you submit a claim, you will be contacted within three (3) business days. 
  • Our goal is to reach a decision on your claim within 30 days of its receipt. However, if there are complex issues involved, or if we need additional information, the process may take longer.
  • You must file one claim per incident
  • Submitting a claim online is the fastest way to have your claim processed. We will also accept claims submitted via mail, email or fax. 

NOTE: Under California damages law you are entitled to reimbursement for the lesser of fair market value or the cost to repair your damaged property. We use the replacement cost of the item and depreciate that amount to arrive at the fair market value. You may consider consulting with your insurance carrier.

Generally, we are responsible for losses that occur due to our negligence. However, in many instances, we are NOT responsible for power outages, voltage fluctuations, food loss, or property damage that occur due to forces outside our control, such as earthquakes and weather-related conditions including wind, rain, fog, lightning, or extreme heat. Billing, solar related issues and Non Beneficial Use requests are not handled as claims. Please contact customer service at 1-800-743-5000 for assistance with those concerns.


Types of claims may include:

  • Property Damage
  • Personal Injury
  • Lost Wages
  • Business Losses
  • Miscellaneous Losses (Car rental, Hotel costs, Restaurant costs) 
  • Food Spoilage


For other claim programs:

Direct Payments for Community Recovery Program

If your home has been destroyed by wildfire and you would like to submit a claim, please visit our Direct Payments for Community Recovery website at www.dp4cr.com


The Direct Payments for Community Recovery (DP4CR) Program is designed to easily and quickly compensate individuals whose homes, including mobile homes, were destroyed by wildfire. The process is conducted online and can be completed, from start to finish, on your home computer or mobile device. If you experience trouble, PG&E representatives are available to help by phone at 1-877-873-8246.


Safety Net Program

If you are a residential customer who has gone without power for 48 consecutive hours or greater because of severe storm conditions, you may qualify for an automatic payment under our Safety Net program. This program provides a payment of $25-100, which is paid automatically about 60 days following the storm outage. 


important notice icon Note: Do not submit a claim form to get a Safety Net payment. Visit outage compensation.


However, you may submit a claim if you believe that PG&E caused a loss for which you should be compensated. You can make this type of claim using various methods, but online is the fastest way for us to process it.

You can help the claims process go smoothly by following these recommendations:

  • Keep copies of all receipts for any loss or damage you suffer.
  • Do your part to minimize your damages. For example, you can minimize damage by using ice to prevent food from spoiling during an extended outage.
  • Make sure that the losses or expenses that you incur because of the incident are fair and reasonable.

Generally speaking, PG&E is responsible for damages that result from our negligence. We are not responsible for damages that we do not cause or that are the result of forces beyond our control. For example, in most instances, we are not responsible in the following situations:

  • Power outages, voltage fluctuations or property damage caused by earthquakes, weather-related conditions, such as lightning, floods, extreme storms, heat or winds or other acts of nature.
  • Losses associated with curtailments or outages initiated by an Electric Grid Operator.
  • Losses due to a failure of gas supplies that we do not cause.

If we are only partially responsible for a loss, we offer to pay our fair share.

You should retain copies of all receipts so you can provide full and accurate documentation of your losses or damages.


You can help us expedite your claim by completing the claim form as thoroughly as possible, and by enclosing appropriate supporting documentation. 


Below are general examples:

  • Property damage
    • Detailed repair estimates
    • Detailed repair invoices
    • Purchase receipts
    • Appraisals
    • Photographs
    • Rental receipts
  • Personal injury1    
    • Date of birth
    • Gender
    • Treatment bills
    • Treatment records1
    • Prescription receipts
  • Lost wages
    • Amount of time off
    • Employer's verification
    • Payroll stubs
  • Business losses
    • Tax records
    • Bank statements
    • Payroll records
    • Revenue statements
    • Sales receipts
  • Miscellaneous losses
    • Hotel receipts
    • Restaurant receipts
    • Car rental receipts
  • Food spoilage2
    • Itemized purchase receipts
    • Itemized list of cost and type of food
    • List to identify if items were frozen or refrigerated
    • Photographs 

1For personal injury losses, be prepared to provide your Social Security Number and to approve PG&E’s request for records from your medical provider(s).

2Food spoilage claims are evaluated based on the recommended guidelines from the US Department of Agriculture:

  1. A fully stocked freezer will usually keep food frozen for 2 days after losing power, if the door remains closed.
  2. A half-full freezer will usually keep food frozen about 1 day, if the door remains closed.
  3. Food will usually stay cold in the refrigerator up to 4 hours, if the door remains closed.

Complete the following steps to submit your claim online:

  1. Complete our online claim form.
  2. Email any additional supporting documents, as we instruct, to ClaimDocs@pge.com.
  3. Include your claim number in the subject line so that our system can identify your claim.


Submit a claim using other methods: You should not submit both an online and paper claim.


You can submit your claim in several other ways.

important notice icon Note: Submitting online is the fastest way to get your claim evaluated. 


Complete the following steps for emailing, sending a fax or sending us your claim form by U.S. Mail:

  1. Complete our claim form by downloading: 
    Claim form (PDF)
    Download in large print (PDF)
    Descargue el formulario de reclamación (PDF)
    下载中文索赔表 (PDF)
  2. Attach or include any supporting documentation. For email attachments, we only accept these file types: PDF, DOC, XLS and JPG.
  3. Send your completed form and documentation using one of the following methods:
    • Email to: lawclaims@pge.com
    • Fax to: 925-459-7326
    • Mail to:
      Pacific Gas and Electric Company
      Attn: Law Claims Department
      300 Lakeside Drive, Oakland, CA 94612

Submit a claim as soon as possible. Statutes of limitations apply for the filing of legal actions set by California or other applicable law. A statute of limitations is the length of time from the date of the incident in which you can still file a claim. The following info about statutes of limitations is based on our claims experience.

  • Food spoilage and other similar claims should be made promptly. Such claims are paid only if they are submitted and resolved within one year from the date of the incident.
  • Generally, the statute of limitations for filing an action involving personal injury is two years from the date of the incident.
  • Personal inconvenience claims (such as a meal out) have a statute of limitations of one year.
  • Business interruption or economic loss claims, where there is no property damage, have a statute of limitations of two years.
  • Tangible property damage claims have a statute of limitations of three years.

Give yourself enough time for the claim process. If your claim is not submitted and resolved within the statute of limitations, your claims will be denied.

What if your claim is denied?

If your claim is denied, we will send a letter explaining the reason. It may be because of a gas or electric rule that applies to your situation. These rules are on file with the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC). They have the same effect as other laws. If you are not satisfied with the determination of your claim, you have the right to file a court action. Small claims court hears matters not exceeding $10,000. The small claims process does not involve attorneys.


What is the role of the CPUC?

The CPUC sets general rules relating to claims process, but it does not rule on the underlying merits of a claim. If you have a billing dispute that you are unable to resolve with PG&E personnel, the appropriate remedy is to file a complaint with the CPUC. For further information about the role of the CPUC, you can call 1-800-649-7570 or visit its website at www.cpuc.ca.gov.

Download claim forms

Pacific Gas & Electric Company claim form


189 KB

Formulario de reclamación


73 KB



559 KB

Large print claim form


173 KB

Registered agent for service of process

Corporation Service Company (CSC) is the registered agent for service of process for PG&E.


Please direct all service of process to:
2710 Gateway Oaks Drive, Suite 150N
Sacramento, CA 95833


PG&E does not accept in person service of process at 300 Lakeside Avenue, Oakland, or any other location.

More information

Contact us

If you have claims questions, please call us at 415-973-4548.

Service guarantees

Service guarantees spell out our commitment to provide prompt customer service for our customers.

Language and assistive services

Find assistive resources, Braille, translation services and more.