Group living facilities, homeless shelters, hospices and women's shelters may be eligible for the CARE Program. Apply to receive a monthly discount on your energy bills if your group living facility meets these program guidelines:
- Group living facilities include these types:
- Transitional housing, such as drug rehab centers or halfway houses
- Short- or long-term care facilities
- Group homes for the physically or mentally challenged
- Other nonprofit group living facilities
- Homeless shelters, hospices and women's shelters must provide lodging as their primary function. They must be open for operation. The facilities must have at least six beds for a minimum of 180 days and/or nights per year.
- Total gross income for all residents or clients (including family units) must meet current income guidelines. The income applies to individuals who occupy the facility at any time. On-site aid is excluded from this calculation.
- Group living facilities must provide special-needs social services in addition to lodging. Examples include meals and rehabilitation.
- Group facilities may have satellite facilities in the name of one licensed entity. These satellite facilities must meet the same requirements as the main facility.
- Separate applications must be filed for each type of facility. This rule applies, even if the facilities are under one licensed organization. For example, an entity with a homeless shelter and a hospice facility must apply separately for each facility.
- The organization that operates the facility must provide a copy of the 501(c)(3) document. This document certifies tax-exempt status.
- All PG&E accounts must be listed in the name of the entity that holds the tax-exempt status.
- 70 percent of the energy supplied to each PG&E account must be used for residential purposes. The purpose includes common use areas.
- Facilities must notify PG&E if they no longer qualify for the CARE discount.
The following facilities are not eligible for the CARE Program:
- Nonprofit facilities that provide only social services
- Group living facilities that provide no service other than a place to live
- Government-owned or operated facilities
- Government-subsidized facilities that provide only lodging
Enroll in CARE
Complete the following steps to enroll in CARE.
- Download and print the CARE NONPROFIT GROUP LIVING FACILITIES PROGRAM APPLICATION (PDF, 200 KB) in English.
- Complete and Sign the application.
- Mail or fax the application and required documents to one of the following locations.
P. O. Box 7979
San Francisco, CA 94120-7979
Fax number: 1-877-302-7563
You can also request an application by mail. Call the CARE program at
1-866-743-2273 or send an email to CAREandFERA@pge.com.
Renew your CARE certification
Organizations must renew every two years by completing a new application and attaching proof of the following items:
- A copy of your currently valid Federal 501(c)(3) tax exemption document with the same name as the PG&E account(s).
- A copy of your license to provide social service by the appropriate agency.
- A complete list of your facility's PG&E accounts (See Section 5 of the application).
PG&E sends a renewal application three months before the discount expires. Your organization can reapply for the CARE Program if it still qualifies under the current Program Guidelines.
You can request a renewal application by mail. Call the CARE program at 1-866-743-2273 or email CAREandFERA@pge.com.