Housing facility for agricultural employees may be eligible to get monthly energy bill discounts through the CARE program. Apply for CARE if your facility meets these program guidelines:
- The facility must meet the definition in Subdivision (b) of Section 1140.4 of the Labor Code and have an exemption from local property taxes pursuant to subdivision (g) of Section 214 of the Revenue and Taxation Code.
- The facility must provide a copy of tax-exempt documentation.
- The facility must use 70 percent of the energy supplied to master-metered facilities for residential purposes, and 100 percent of the energy for individually metered units for residential purposes.
- Total gross income for all households in the facility at any given time must meet the current income guidelines.
- Separate applications must be filed for each type of facility (employee housing and housing for agricultural employees), even if they are under one licensed organization.
- The facility must notify Pacific Gas and Electric Company if it no longer qualifies for the CARE discount.
Enroll in CARE
Complete the following steps to enroll in CARE:
- Download CARE FOR AGRICULTURAL EMPLOYEE HOUSING FACILITIES APPLICATION (PDF, 167 KB) in English.
- Sign the application.
- Mail or fax the application and required documents to one of the following locations.
P. O. Box 7979
San Francisco, CA 94120-7979
Fax number: 1-877-302-7563
You can also request an application by mail. Call the CARE program at
1-866-743-2273 or send an email to CAREandFERA@pge.com.
Renew your CARE certification
Organizations must renew every two years by completing a new application and attaching proof of the following items:
- A copy of a current permit issued by the Department of Housing and Community Development OR your Federal 501(c)(3) tax exemption OR your state tax exemption form along with your local property tax exemption form Documents must be in the same name as the PG&E account(s).
- A statement of how the entity used the discount during the previous year to directly benefit facility residents.
PG&E sends a renewal application three months before a discount expires. Your organization can reapply for the CARE program if it still qualifies under the current Program Guidelines.
You can request a renewal application by mail. Call the CARE program at 1-866-743-2273 or email CAREandFERA@pge.com.