Learn how to file a claim with us

Direct Payments for Community Recovery Program

If your home has been destroyed by wildfire and you would like to submit a claim, please visit our Direct Payments for Community Recovery website at www.dp4cr.com. You may also make an appointment at our Local Assistance Center at the Mosquito Appointment Portal.

The Direct Payments for Community Recovery (DP4CR) Program is designed to easily and quickly compensate individuals whose homes, including mobile homes, were destroyed by wildfire. The process is conducted online and can be completed, from start to finish, on your home computer or mobile device. If you experience trouble, PG&E representatives are available to help by phone at 1-877-873-8246.

Safety Net Program

If you are a residential customer who has gone without power for at least 48 hours because of severe storm conditions, you may qualify for an automatic payment under our Safety Net program. This program provides a payment of $25 - $100, which we pay automatically about 60 days following the storm outage. 

PLEASE NOTE: Do not submit a claim form to get a Safety Net payment. Visit Compensation for Extended Outages.

However, you may submit a claim if you believe that PG&E caused a loss for which you should be compensated. You can make this type of claim using various methods, but online is the fastest way for us to process it.

Para ayuda en español por favor llame al 1-800-743 -5000.

Learn how to submit a claim for compensation

Help us process your claim faster by completing our online form at PG&E Claims. Provide photographs and the documentation needed for your type of claim, using the following guidelines:

  • For property damage. Detailed repair estimates and/or invoices or purchase records.
  • For personal injury. Copy of medical records and receipts.
  • For lost wages. The amount of time you were unable to work due to personal injury; verification of lost time from your employer and/or payroll stubs showing your hourly or daily pay rate.
    NOTE: You cannot receive compensation for the time spent pursuing your claim.
  • For lost revenues. Tax records and/or bank statements, payroll records, revenue and expense statements and sales receipts.
  • For miscellaneous losses. Hotel and restaurant receipts and car rental receipts.
  • For food spoilage.* An itemized list of the cost and type of spoiled perishable food, with receipts or other documentation.
    *We evaluate food spoilage complaints based on the following recommended guidelines from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
  • Fully stocked freezers usually keep food frozen for two days after losing power.
  • Half-full freezers usually keep food frozen for about one day.
  • Refrigerators usually keep food cold for up to four hours if the door remains unopened.

Submit a claim online

Complete the following steps to submit your claim online:

  1. Complete our online form at PG&E Claims.
  2. Scan and email any additional supporting documents, as we instruct, to ClaimDocs@pge.com.
  3. Include your claim number in the subject line so that our system can identify your claim.

NOTE: Use the email address in Step 2 to send supporting documents only as we request.

Submit a claim using other methods

You can submit your claim in several other ways. Complete the following steps for emailing, sending a FAX or sending us your claim form by U.S. Mail:

  1. Complete our claim form by downloading Claim Form (PDF, 190 KB).
    Download in large print (PDF, 174 KB)
    Descargue el Formulario de Reclamación (PDF, 74 KB)
    下载中文索赔表 (PDF, 560 KB)
  2. Attach or include any supporting documentation. For email attachments, we only accept these file types: PDF, DOC, XLS and JPG.
  3. Send your completed form and documentation using one of the following methods:
    • Email to lawclaims@pge.com
    • FAX to 925-459-7326
    • Mail to:
      Pacific Gas and Electric Company
      Attn: Law Claims Department
      300 Lakeside Drive, Oakland, CA 94612

Get familiar with our claims policy and process

Learn about the factors that go into evaluating your claim and how long the process typically takes. To evaluate your claim fairly and respond promptly, we must understand the following info:

  • How the incident happened
  • Whether we caused the incident
  • The extent of your damages
  • What the law considers fair compensation

We evaluate each claim based on the info you provide and our own investigation, which may involve the following methods:

  • Reviewing records
  • Interviewing employees or witnesses
  • Completing a technical evaluation

Our goal is to reach a decision on your claim within 30 days of receipt. However, if a complex issue is involved or we need more info, the process might take longer. When our investigation is complete, we either call you or send you a letter explaining our decision.

Understand our responsibility

Generally speaking, PG&E is responsible for damages that result from our negligence. We are not responsible for damages that we do not cause or that are the result of forces beyond our control. For example, in most instances, we are not responsible in the following situations:

  • Power outages, voltage fluctuations or property damage caused by earthquakes, weather-related conditions, such as lightning, floods, extreme storms, heat or winds or other acts of nature
  • Losses associated with curtailments or outages initiated by an Electric Grid Operator
  • Losses due to a failure of gas supplies that we do not cause

If we are only partially responsible for a loss, we offer to pay our fair share.

Understand your responsibility

You can help the claims process go smoothly by following these recommendations:

  • Keep copies of all receipts for any loss or damage you suffer.
  • Do your part to minimize your damages. For example, you can minimize damage by using ice to prevent food from spoiling during an extended outage.
  • Make sure that the losses or expenses that you incur because of the incident are fair and reasonable. Losses and expenses may include wages, storage, car rental and hotel costs.

Know your claims options

You have the option to submit your claim to your insurance company. The insurer may be able to reimburse you for the losses without an investigation. In some cases, your insurer can pay the replacement value for the damaged items. Your insurer and PG&E can determine responsibility for the damages and agree on the amount due, if any.

Read about denied claims

We evaluate all claims fairly. If your claim is denied, we explain the reason for the denial. If a specific gas or electric rule applies, we provide you with an explanation or a copy of the rule. If you are not satisfied with our decision and explanation, you can request an appeal of the decision from a Claims Supervisor. You also have the right, at any time in the claims process, to file a court action. If the value of your claim does not exceed $10,000, you can file a small claims action that does not require an attorney.

Understand time limits on filing a claim or court action

Submit a claim as soon as possible. Statutes of limitations apply for the filing of legal actions set by California or other applicable law. A statute of limitations is the length of time from the date of the incident in which you can still file a claim. The following info about statutes of limitations is based on our claims experience:

  • Food spoilage and other similar claims should be made promptly. Such claims are paid only if they are submitted and resolved within one year from the date of the incident.
  • Generally, the statute of limitations for filing an action involving personal injury is two years from the date of the incident.
  • Personal inconvenience claims (such as a meal out) have a statute of limitations of one year.
  • Business interruption or economic loss claims, where there is no property damage, have a statute of limitations of two years.
  • Tangible property damage claims have a statute of limitations of three years.

Give yourself enough time for the claim process. If you don’t submit and resolve your claim before the deadline, it will be denied. If you have questions about these limits, please consult an attorney.

Registered Agent for Service of Process

Corporation Service Company (CSC) is the registered agent for service of process for PG&E. Please direct all service of process to CSC at 2710 GATEWAY OAKS DR STE 150N, SACRAMENTO, CA 95833. PG&E does not accept in person service of process at 300 Lakeside Ave., Oakland, or any other location.

User the online claims form

Use the online claims form

You can help us process your claim faster by completing our online form.

User the online claims form

Service Guarantees

Service guarantees spell out our commitment to provide prompt customer service for our customers.

Contact us

Contact us

If you have questions, please call us at 415-973-4548.