Electric Tower Maintenance Program
We're recoating our electric transmission towers with non-lead-based paint
PG&E cares about the health and safety of our customers, employees and the environment. That’s why we are ending the use of lead-based paint on our electric transmission towers and recoating our towers with a non-lead-based paint.
Find out the scope of the project
The Electric Tower Maintenance Program is one part of PG&E's efforts to create a safer and more environmentally responsible infrastructure.
As part of our commitment to using safer materials, we have inspected all 46,000 transmission towers across our service area. Approximately 6,000 towers were identified to have lead-based paint, which in many cases is peeling. Regardless of their condition, PG&E is recoating all lead-based painted towers with a non-lead-based acrylic paint.
We’re focusing our initial phase of the work on towers located near homes, schools and parks.
Learn what to expect if a tower near you requires repainting
We are committed to partnering with our customers and communities to ensure they are completely informed about this maintenance work. Important details you should know include:
- Safety measures will be in place at all times and this work is being completed by trained contractors using specialized equipment.
- We will take clearances or de-energize transmission lines to help ensure this work is performed safely and quickly.
- This work will not affect customers’ electric service in any way.
- We will personally contact customers, in advance, to minimize any inconvenience or disruption.
- Customers will not need to be present during this work.
- Property owners will not incur any out-of-pocket expenses related to this program.
- Typically, the recoating of a tower will take three to five days.
- Overall, we expect the first phase of this program to be completed within 12-18 months.
Learn more about the project
From cleaner energy to safer paint, our focus is on doing the right thing for the customers and communities we are privileged to serve.
We’re available to answer questions, address concerns and minimize inconvenience and disruptions and will respond within one business day. Customers can call PG&E at 1-888-208-6010 or email us at Towers@pge.com.