Take steps to keep your home and family safe from fire
Use the following tips to help ensure everyone’s safety:
Install smoke alarms throughout your home, and replace the batteries once per year. Install backup batteries. Replace your batteries immediately if a low battery warning beeps. Remember to test your smoke alarms monthly.
Keep fire extinguishers in your home and read the instructions on how to use them. Keep fire extinguishers in high fire risk areas, such as kitchens or workshops.
Know what to do in case of a grease or electrical fire. If a pan is on fire, smother the flames with a lid. Otherwise, use baking soda. Never use water to put out a grease or electrical fire.
Do not turn light switches on or off, if you smell leaking gas. The spark can cause a fire. Do not try to put out a flame if leaking gas begins to burn. Call 9-1-1 and 1-800-743-5000 immediately. Turn off the gas service shutoff valve typically located near the gas meter, if it’s safe to do so.