Urgent Alert

Easement and property requests

Find information and submit requests regarding our property 

Find information on PG&E easements and property requests below. 

Sometimes, PG&E licenses the use of PG&E property for temporary use that may be:

  • Agricultural
  • Grazing
  • Invasive and non-invasive investigations
  • Parking
  • Right of entry
  • Telecommunications
  • Recreational or other uses

The use must meet certain criteria, including:

  • Non-interference with PG&E's utility operations and facilities
  • Non-endangerment to persons, property and the environment

PG&E may also consider other factors such as uses providing benefits to PG&E, PG&E customers or the local community. 


Time and cost

In some circumstances, PG&E is required to obtain approval from the California Public Utility Commission (CPUC) before allowing the use. In those instances, the processing time and cost may increase.


important notice icon Note: All proposed uses may require a non-refundable administrative fee or fees. This in addition to any rent PG&E may require for the proposed use.


PG&E is one of the largest private landowners in California. We are responsible for a vast and diverse portfolio of property. We strive to keep our property in good condition and comply with local codes.


Report an issue on PG&E

Let PG&E know if you discover any of the following on PG&E property: 

  • Possible trespassing
  • An encampment of unhoused individuals
  • Trash dumping
  • Excess vegetation growth

PG&E owns and operates many facilities within private easements. When seeking information regarding our easements, please note: 

  • Many of these easements are recorded at the County Recorder. We recommend you retrieve copies of PG&E easements at the County Recorder's office.
  • Recorded easements typically appear on title reports. If you are currently purchasing a property, ask your title company to retrieve copies of the recorded easements.
  • PG&E may have unrecorded easements or other land rights not of public record encumbering a property.

important notice icon Note: PG&E may require a non-refundable administrative fee or fees for requests to research or pull easements.


PG&E acquires easements on property owned by others. These easements allow us to install, operate and maintain our utility facilities.


The easements may restrict certain uses (e.g., structures, buildings, wells or vegetation) within the easement area.


Do you have a PG&E easement on your property that you wish to have terminated (quitclaimed)? Note these important points before starting your request:

  • PG&E will not terminate an easement where PG&E has active facilities.
  • PG&E will not terminate an easement if determined the easement is still necessary or useful.
  • PG&E will not terminate an easement if there is a potential future need or use for the easement.

important notice icon Note: Easement termination requests may require a non-refundable administrative fee or fees.

PG&E often occupies public utility easements (PUEs) or public service easements (PSEs) with its utility facilities. These easements are often created through an easement deed or by dedications on a Parcel or Subdivision Map. PUEs and PSEs allow PG&E to install, operate and maintain its utility facilities that are used to serve a parcel or parcels within an area or subdivision.


Do you have a PUE or PSE on your property that is not occupied with PG&E's utility facilities? Would you like the PUE or PSE to be vacated? Contact your local city or county agency responsible for the PUE/PSE vacation process.


Before beginning the process, consider these factors:

  • PG&E will not abandon a PUE or PSE when our utility facilities occupy the PUE or PSE.
  • There still may be an existing or future need if PG&E does not currently occupy the PUE or PSE. 
  • PUEs and PSEs are not exclusive to PG&E. Another utility company may be occupying or have a need to use the PUE or PSE.

Are you representing a city or county? Please refer to our one-page overview (PDF) that will tell you where to send PUE or PSE vacation notices and associated documents.


important notice icon Note: PG&E may require a non-refundable fee or fees to fulfill your request.

PG&E often installs facilities within public road rights-of-way. If the city or county decides to abandon or vacate the public road right-of-way, PG&E must determine:

  • If it occupies the road with its facilities
  • Whether rights must be reserved for the continued operation and maintenance of those facilities

Are you representing a city or county? Refer to our one-page overview (PDF) that will tell you where to send street vacation notices and associated documents. 


Access to PG&E facilities must be maintained for safe and reliable operation of our facilities. 

Property owners and developers are responsible for the cost of relocating PG&E facilities to accommodate their development.


Utility facility relocations require long lead times and are not always feasible. Owners and developers are encouraged to consult with PG&E early in their planning. 


Delineation maps must be reviewed for potential conflicts with PG&E's utility facilities. This is to determine if facilities conflict with the proposed development. Refer to the one-page overview (PDF) to learn how to:

  • Obtain delineation maps
  • Request relocation of PG&E utility facilities

To promote the safe and reliable maintenance and operation of PG&E's utility facilities, PG&E and the California Public Utility Commission (CPUC) have mandated clearance requirements between utility facilities and nearby improvements, vegetation and construction.


To ensure compliance with these standards and any restrictions within the easement, the property owner or builder should coordinate with PG&E early in the planning process and prior to construction. Consider these items when planning your project:

  • Any proposed improvements or uses should provide for unrestricted access to PG&E’s utility facilities and easements.
  • Proposed projects must not impair the safe and reliable maintenance and operation of PG&E's utility facilities. Buildings or other structures, wells, pools or other obstructions must not be constructed or placed within PG&E's easements.
  • No substance or material may be stored or deposited within PG&E's easements. This includes  debris, rubbish, earth, and flammable or combustible substances. 
  • The existing ground level must not be substantially diminished or added to within PG&E easements. 
  • Landscaping must be compliant with PG&E standards. It must be a safe distance from existing overhead and underground utility lines. Learn more about safe planting near PG&E equipment

Want more information regarding the submittal process or to ensure your project is compliant? Refer to the Plan Review Step-by-Step Guide (PDF).


For more information regarding working near PG&E's electric and gas transmission facilities, refer to:

These are general guidelines for transmission facilities and not for distribution or service facilities. PG&E may propose additional or modified guidelines. 


important notice icon Note: Any additional review beyond the initial request may require a non-refundable administrative fee or fees.

Frequently asked questions

Easements that are recorded at the County Recorder’s office are available to the public. We recommend obtaining a copy of the easement at your County Recorder’s office. If you are in the process of purchasing a property, the title company can supply copies of recorded easements on the property.

 If you want to know the exact location of our underground facilities or will be digging on your property:


Call 811 or 1-800-642-2444 to have our underground facilities marked and located.

For specific questions regarding PG&E facilities, what they serve, or any changes or upgrades to your service:


Call us at 1-877-660-6789

Buildings and other structures are prohibited within our easements. Landscaping, paving or similar improvements must be reviewed in advance by PG&E. Submit your plans to PGEPlanReview@pge.com.  

Submit your request through PG&E's Your Project portal.

important notice icon Note:

  • PG&E must be granted equivalent or superior land rights for the relocated facilities.
  • The requestor may be responsible for all costs and expenses. 


PG&E frequently occupies public utility easements (PUEs) to serve customers. Other utilities may also occupy PUEs. PUEs are usually marked on recorded maps such as tract or subdivision maps. You can request these maps at your County Recorder's office. 


important notice icon Note:

  • PG&E prohibits buildings and other structures, certain vegetation and other obstructions in PUEs, even if the PUE is currently not in use.
  • Requests to terminate or reduce the footprint of a PUE must be submitted to your local city or county. 

Our property management team can assist with illegal activities taking place on PG&E property. 

PG&E generally acquires expressed rights or has acquired rights from its predecessor companies. These rights allow us to operate and maintain our facilities to serve customers. We also utilize other land rights (e.g., public utility easements) for our facilities. From time to time, PG&E may need to access your property to safely operate, maintain and inspect its facilities. If you have questions about specific PG&E activity occurring on your property, call us at 1-877-660-6789.

More on land use

PG&E recreational lands

Find out about using our lakes, reservoirs and watershed lands.

Buy PG&E land

Learn about the surplus properties available for sale.