©2023 Pacific Gas and Electric Company
The Portable Battery Program (PBP) offers extra support to those who are reliant on electricity for medical needs. Through the program, qualifying customers can receive backup portable batteries. These batteries can help power medical devices, assistive technology and durable medical equipment during outages. They can also help refrigerate medicines.
How it works
- If you are pre-qualified, no action is needed. Our program partners will reach out directly to conduct assessments.
- Based on the assessment, you will be matched with the right portable battery for your power needs.
- We deliver the battery.
If your power needs exceed portable battery capabilities, you’ll be referred to the Disability Disaster Access & Resources Program for support.
You may qualify for the PBP if you:
- Rely on a medical device, assistive technology or durable medical equipment
- Are a Medical Baseline or Self-Identified Vulnerable customer, and
Portable battery safety
Avoid safety risks and potential property damage. Always operate a portable battery safely. When operating a portable battery:
- Always follow the instructions set by the manufacturer
- Never connect to another power source
- Operate in a clean, dry area
- Be sure that the power needs of the device are supported by your portable battery
- Do not go above the specifications set by the manufacturer
- Do not smoke or have open flames near batteries
- Never run cords under rugs or carpets
- Do not store fuel inside the house
Learn more about backup power safety.
More outage resources
Community Wildfire Safety Program
We’re working to keep communities safe from wildfires. While effective, our efforts may cause power outages.
Food, lodging and transportation
Find support during a PSPS. This could include hotel stays, meals or accessible rides.
Find information about services in your county, like local food banks or Meals on Wheels.