©2023 Pacific Gas and Electric Company
PG&E is proud to be your utility company. As your energy provider, we're responsible for providing you with safe, reliable power. To measure our reliability, we constantly track and monitor outages across our service area. Then, we calculate our reliability rates based on this data.
PG&E Electric Reliability Annual Report and Virtual Town Hall
Each year, we compile a report that reviews our electric reliability status with both a system-wide and division-level perspective. The report is submitted to the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) and is available to the public. The report on 2021 electric reliability was submitted in 2022.
Here are some helpful links:
- Download the 2022 Electric Annual Reliability Report (PDF, 3.3 MB)
- Download the presentation from the Dec. 15, 2022 Electric Reliability Virtual Presentation (PDF, 1.9 MB)
Understand how we measure reliability
We apply four metrics typically used in the electric utility industry:
- System Average Interruption Duration Index (SAIDI). This index is based on the amount of time the average PG&E customer experiences a sustained outage (being without power for more than five minutes) in a given year. In 2022, the PG&E SAIDI was about 255.8 minutes per customer.
- System Average Interruption Frequency Index (SAIFI). This metric represents the number of times the average PG&E customer experiences a sustained outage in a given year. In 2022, the PG&E SAIFI was about 1.630, or slightly more than one per customer.
- Customer Average Interruption Duration Index (CAIDI). This index represents the average restoration time when customers are impacted by a sustained outage. It is determined by dividing SAIDI by SAIFI. In 2022, the PG&E CAIDI was 156.9 minutes.
- Momentary Average Interruption Frequency Index (MAIFI). This index is based on the number of times the average customer is interrupted by Momentary Outage events each year. Momentary Outage events are outages that last 5 minutes or less. In 2022, the PG&E MAIFI was 1.320 per customer.
SAIDI and SAIFI performance results
Along with electric reliability indices such as SAIDI, SAIFI, MAIFI and CAIDI, we track performance from year-to-year.
SAIDI performance results
SAIFI performance results
2022 Basic Cause - By Number of Sustained Distribution Outages
Access our reliability reports
All reports are available from the CPUC website by clicking the following link:
PG&E service territory
Discover the SmartMeter™ Program
Learn about SmartMeter™ technology. The program makes new rates possible to save you money and build an energy-efficient future.
Understand our SmartMeter™ pricing plans
Learn about our pricing plans enabled by SmartMeter™ technology.
Discover how the Smart Grid and SmartMeter™ work together
Learn how the Smart Grid and SmartMeter™ are working together to power a brighter future.