Explore energy-saving ideas in the Business Resource Center
Upgrade to save drops and dollars
At the heart of your irrigation system is your water pump and its overall efficiency performance has a direct impact on your energy costs. For example, a 25% improvement in pump efficiency can lead up to a 33% increase in energy savings.
It pays to implement water-saving equipment and programs that can help you save energy and money.
Variable Frequency Drives
Irrigation pump variable frequency drives (VFDs) are an example of such equipment. VFDs adjust pump speed to match irrigation needs and deliver the exact pressure and flow specific applications call for at different times, making for more efficient irrigation.
PG&E offers rebates for:
- Well Pumps – VFD, Retrofit Only (less than or equal to 300 hp) – $30/hp/motor (max $9,000)
- Booster Pumps – VFD, Retrofit Only (less than or equal to 150 hp) – $30/hp/motor (max $4,500)
Submit your rebate application online by going to pge.com/bizrebates.
When it comes to programs for energy-efficient equipment, farmers have been turning to PG&E and the Advanced Pumping Efficiency Program (APEP) for technical support and rebates for irrigation overhaul. APEP, an educational and incentive program that aims to improve pumping efficiency and encourage energy conservation, has provided more than 2,160 rebates for pump repairs and retrofits from 2002 to 2015. That totals over $12 million in rebates!
Irrigation pumping can account for 80% of a farm’s entire electricity consumption. Inefficient pumps can add thousands of dollars to your utility bill. Plus, older ones often leak water. With APEP, you can get on your way to energy and money savings in just three steps:
- Get an Overall Pumping Efficiency test from a qualified contractor.You could qualify for discounted testing on pumps 25hp or greater (not offered on smaller pumps).
- Review your rebate options. APEP offers incentives for pumps 25hp or greater. You may be eligible to receive incentives (based on energy savings) covering up to half of your pump repair costs. For pumps less than 25hp, visit pge.com/bizrebates.
- Complete and submit your rebate application. Call our Ag Hotline at 1-877-311-FARM (3276) or email us at AgricultureEnergySavingsPrograms@pge.com.
Energy Efficiency Financing
PG&E’s Energy Efficiency Financing program also offers zero-percent loans, ranging from $5,000 to $100,000, with up to five years for repayment.* To qualify for the program, you must be a PG&E business customer who has had an active account for at least two years, with all payments made on time for the past 12 months.
Benefits of Pump Efficiency
When you complete a pump upgrade, saving water is just the beginning. Your energy bills may decrease, equipment will last longer and your property value and product quality might even improve, all thanks to efficient irrigation.
Explore the following for information about other incentives, services and programs:
- PG&E’s Agriculture and Food Processing Rebate Catalog (PDF, 4.7 MB)
- PG&E’s energy-saving solutions for agriculture customers
- APEP Fact Sheet (PDF, 1.4 MB)
*Subject to customer eligibility and program requirements.
For more information, visit pge.com/eef.
Energy Advisor eNewsletter
Sign up for PG&E's monthly Energy Advisor for Business eNewsletter to stay informed of the latest news and tools for managing your business's energy use and costs.