Clean Fuel Rebate for fueling electric vehicles
Receive a $500 Clean Fuel Rebate
As an electric vehicle (EV) owner, you're contributing to a cleaner energy future by fueling your vehicle with electricity. PG&E customers with EVs are eligible to receive a $500 Clean Fuel Rebate for their use of electricity as a clean transportation fuel.
Learn about the Clean Fuel Rebate program
The Clean Fuel Rebate comes from a State of California program called the Low Carbon Fuel Standard (LCFS). The Low Carbon Fuel Standard is fighting climate change by encouraging the adoption of clean vehicle fuels such as electricity. PG&E earns credits in the program when customers use electricity at home to charge their electric vehicles. PG&E returns the value of these credits to its electric vehicle customers through the Clean Fuel Rebate.
Find out about the eligibility requirements for the Clean Fuel Rebate
- You must be a PG&E customer with an active residential electric account. As the account holder, you may also apply on behalf of an EV owner in your household (or tenant in a multifamily household) with the vehicle owner’s permission.
- You must own or lease an eligible plug-in electric vehicle or have permission from the vehicle owner to submit the application.
- Your vehicle, identified by its unique vehicle identification number (VIN), must not have already received the Clean Fuel Rebate under the current owner or any previous owner.
- You must have paid the vehicle's current registration fees and your vehicle must be registered in California to the address on your PG&E account.
Apply for your rebate through a simple online application
To complete the application process, you'll need the following:
- Your PG&E account number. Find your account number at the top of your energy bill. Your account must have active residential electric service to be eligible.
- Your current vehicle registration card. If you recently purchased or leased your vehicle and haven't received your registration card yet, you may provide a copy of your purchase or lease contract instead.
Once submitted, PG&E will review your application to confirm eligibility. If approved, your Clean Fuel Rebate check will be mailed to the address on your PG&E account.
Terms and Conditions
1. To be eligible for a Clean Fuel Rebate (Rebate) in accordance with this Clean Fuel Rebate Application (Application), an applicant must (i) be a customer of Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) with an active residential electric Service Agreement; (ii) own, or be acting on behalf of the owner of, a qualified plug-in electric vehicle registered at an address corresponding to their PG&E account; and (iii) have paid the current vehicle registration fees in the State of California. Community Choice Aggregation (CCA) and Direct Access (DA) customers are eligible for the rebate.
2. A qualified electric vehicle (EV), identified by its unique Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), can only be assigned one rebate in its lifetime. If a Clean Fuel Rebate, or another rebate from Low Carbon Fuel Standard funds issued by any other utility in the State of California, has been issued for a qualified EV with a particular VIN, that vehicle cannot be assigned any additional rebates.
3. The current dollar amount of the rebate is shown on the application. Rebate amounts are subject to change at any time and may be greater or less than the current value posted in the application in the future. A qualified EV with a particular VIN can only be assigned one rebate in its lifetime; therefore, it is up to the applicant to determine when to apply for the rebate. Rebate funds are limited and are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
4. Incomplete applications will not be processed. Applications must include all required information, including documentation of vehicle registration and documentation of the registration fees paid.
5. The rebate and the terms and conditions regarding this application are subject to change, and the rebate can be terminated at any time by PG&E and/or the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC). Any applicant information provided in this application may be used internally by PG&E for purposes other than processing the application and may be made available to the CPUC and ARB.
6. Applicants authorize PG&E to send them email messages related to their application. Applicants: (i) acknowledge that they are the authorized user of the email address provided in the application; (ii) grant PG&E express permission to send emails related to their application to that email address until such permission is revoked by the applicant; and (iii) notwithstanding that this email address may be on the federal or a state's Do Not Contact list, acknowledge that such emails sent by PG&E shall not be in violation of any Do Not Contact list(s).