Understand the PG&E Tiered Rate Plan (E-1)
PG&E’s Tiered Rate Plan (E-1)
This rate plan has two pricing levels, known as “tiers,” which are based on how much energy you use. It also includes a High Usage Surcharge when your usage exceeds four times your Baseline Allowance, also known as Tier 1.
How the plan works
The first and lowest priced tier is called your Baseline Allowance. It consists of an allotment of energy based on where you live, your heating source, and the season—summer or winter. Summer runs May 1 through October 31 and winter runs November 1 through April 30.
- Energy used within your Baseline Allowance is billed at the lowest price.
- Energy used above the Baseline Allowance is considered Tier 2 and is billed at a higher price.
- If your energy use exceeds four times the Baseline Allowance during your monthly billing cycle, a High Usage Surcharge will be applied.
Find your baseline allowance
What the plan means for you
- The price for energy changes only when you exceed your Baseline Allowance and go into Tier 2 during the monthly billing cycle.
- You can avoid the High Usage Surcharge by not exceeding four times your Baseline Allowance.
- Since the Baseline Allowance changes by season, the amount of energy billed at the lowest price also changes by season.
- You can save on your bill by conserving energy and staying within Baseline Allowance as long as possible.
- This plan works best for customers who are unable to decrease their energy use during certain times of day.
PLEASE NOTE: This chart represents an above average usage customer. The length of time in each tier depends on monthly energy usage.
Determine Your Baseline Allowance
Find current pricing on the Tariffs page
Sign in to use the Electric Rate Plan Comparison tool
Explore rate options that could help you conserve energy and save
The SmartRate plan can help you save up to 20 percent on your summer energy bill. Receive a discount for reducing your energy use up to 15 days a year.
On Time-of-Use rate plans, pricing varies depending on when you use energy during the day, week and season.
Tools to help manage your energy costs
Sign in to your online account to see your energy usage details and a personalized rate analysis. Plus, you can take a Home Energy Checkup to learn how your home uses energy.
The Bill Forecast Alert sends a notification if your bill is expected to exceed an amount you specify. High Usage Alerts will send you a notification when you’re at risk of incurring a surcharge.