Former Woodland Manufactured Gas Plant

Project overview: PG&E is working to address environmental impacts at the site of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP) at Fourth and Main streets in Woodland, California. Today, the site consists of a restaurant, and a cabinet and millwork shop. PG&E conducts all work voluntarily in coordination with the property owners and California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) oversight.

PG&E has finished environmental investigation work which defined the extent of gas plant impacts to soil and groundwater. PG&E is working with the property owners to determine the best method to address impacts. Any cleanup work will be performed in a manner that minimizes impacts to the downtown community.

Former Woodland MGP in the 1900s

Former Woodland MGP in the 1900s

PG&E will continue to keep the community informed about the project through fact sheets, work notices and other outreach.

Site history: The MGP operated at the site from 1871 to 1921, producing gas for the lighting, heating and cooking needs of the community. PG&E acquired the plant in 1905 when the company was formed, and operated it from about 1907 until its closure. PG&E used the site for a variety of company activities until the late 1930s. The parcels that housed the former plant were sold in mid-1955, and the remainder of the property was sold shortly thereafter.

Additional resources

Download work notices and fact sheets.

For additional information visit DTSC Resources & Contact Information.

Site related documents can also be found at:

Woodland Public Library
250 First Street
Woodland, CA