Former Willows manufactured gas plant

PG&E has a voluntary manufactured gas plant (MGP) program, under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), to address the environmental impacts of plants that operated between the late 1800s and early 1900s. This program includes the site of a former plant at 310 E. Wood Street in Willows. The site is now the location of a PG&E service center.

Former Willows
PG&E completed remediation at this site in fall 2002, following a series of environmental investigations.

Remedial work included removal of impacted soil and installation of an asphalt cap to protect against potential public exposure to gas plant residues and to protect groundwater. PG&E continues to monitor groundwater conditions and inspects and maintains the cap annually, and reports results to DTSC.

The former Willows MGP operated on a portion of the site (known as “Parcel A”) from 1911 to 1944. The majority of the gas plant structures were dismantled in 1953. The only structures remaining today from the gas plant era are the main buildings on Parcel A. PG&E acquired a portion of the site (known as “Parcel C”) in 1931. No gas manufacturing operations occurred on Parcel C, according to historical information.


Additional Resources

DTSC Resources & Contact Information