Former Selma manufactured gas plant

History: The former Selma manufactured gas plant (MGP) operated from 1889 to 1930 at 2139 Sylvia Street in Selma, California. The site resides in a commercial/residential area. Selma Gas and Electric Company originally ran the MGP until the San Joaquin Power and Light Company took over in 1910. PG&E acquired the assets of the San Joaquin Power and Light Company in 1938, which included the former Selma MGP. PG&E has used this site as a service yard and customer service office since 1962. Several phases of investigation were performed at the site to help determine the extent of remediation that was necessary for soil and groundwater.

Former Selma manufactured gas plant in the early 1900s

Overview: PG&E completed remediation of the site in August 2012, as part of a voluntary program under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC). DTSC issued a site certification letter (see link below) in December 2013 documenting the successful completion of remediation work and stating PG&E has no further environmental commitments at the site. The property continues to be used as a PG&E service center.


Selma MPG

PG&E’s Selma Service Center post-remediation

Site-related documents can also be found at:
Selma Branch Library, 2200 Selma Street, Selma (559-896-3393)