Former San Luis Obispo Manufactured Gas Plant

Project overview

PG&E has completed soil removal activities at the site of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP) that operated close to one hundred years ago in the vicinity of Pismo and Walker Streets in San Luis Obispo, California. All work was performed voluntarily under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) and in coordination with the City of San Luis Obispo and the San Luis Obispo County Air Pollution Control District.

Aerial view of property where work took place.

Aerial view of property where work took place.

Cleanup activities included the removal and off-site disposal of roughly 11,600 tons of impacted soil. Workers backfilled excavations with clean, imported fill.

As part of PG&E's commitment to sustainable remediation practices, we used California Air Resource Board compliant-trucks, carpooling and low emissions equipment. We also used recycled materials whenever possible. This resulted in approximately 9.4 metric tons of CO2 equivalent greenhouse gas reductions and roughly 87 tons of asphalt, concrete and metal being recycled.

PG&E is working with DTSC to obtain a certificate of completion. Groundwater will continue to be monitored to confirm cleanup activities were successful. PG&E is evaluating site redevelopment options in coordination with the City of San Luis Obispo.

The recently restored historic gas works building (shown above) will remain on-site during cleanup

The historic gas work building will remain on the restored site.

PG&E will continue to keep the community informed about this project through fact sheets, work notices and other outreach, as appropriate.

Site history

The San Luis Gas and Electric Company operated the former San Luis Obispo MGP from 1903 to 1918, which provided a constant source of energy for cooking, lighting, heating, and hot water to the surrounding community before natural gas became available. PG&E owned the site from 1938 to 1959 and reacquired it in 2009 to conduct investigation and remediation work.

Site-related documents can also be found at:

San Luis Obispo Public Library, 995 Palm Street, San Luis Obispo 805-781-5989.