Former Oakland manufactured gas plant

PG&E has completed the voluntary cleanup of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP) located at 50 Market and 101 Jefferson Streets in Oakland. Remediation involved installing asphalt or concrete as a protective cover over unpaved areas of soil containing impacts from historic gas making activities. The California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) oversaw this work and in May 2016, certified that the appropriate cleanup actions have been completed.


Former oakland MGP in 1930

PG&E operated the former Oakland MGP from 1905 to 1930. The plant was placed on standby status from 1930 to 1958. PG&E dismantled the plant in 1961, and later sold portions of the site along the waterfront to the Port of Oakland. Today, these portions comprise the Howard Terminal.