Former Marysville Manufactured Gas Plant

PG&E has a voluntary manufactured gas plant (MGP) program, under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), to address the environmental impacts of plants that operated between the late 1800s and early 1900s. This program includes the site of a former MGP located on Fourth Street, between A Street and the Yuba River levee, in Marysville. The site is now the location of a PG&E service center and substation.


Former Marysville MGP in 1900's


Following a series of environmental investigations and in accordance with a remedial action plan approved by DTSC, PG&E installed a concrete cap in 1993 to protect against potential public exposure to gas plant residues and to protect groundwater. PG&E continues to monitor groundwater conditions and conducts annual cap inspections and maintenance, and reports results to DTSC.


The former Marysville MGP operated on the southeast corner of the property from 1898 to 1939, when it was put on standby status. PG&E operated the MGP starting in 1909 and dismantled it by 1957. PG&E has used the site as a service center since 1953.