Former Fresno - 1 Manufactured Gas Plant

Overview: PG&E has completed soil remediation activities at the site of a former manufactured gas plant that operated at 211 North Thorne Avenue in Fresno (site) from 1918 to 1929. All work was performed voluntarily under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), City of Fresno and San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District.

Former Fresno manufactured gas plant in the early 1900s

Cleanup activities included the removal and off-site disposal of roughly 20,370 tons of impacted soil from the site, and in the adjacent public right-of-way (ROW) along North Thorne Avenue and West Voorman Avenue.

With remediation activities completed, PG&E is in the process of constructing two new buildings and parking at this property. The property will continue to be used by PG&E as a service yard and a gas load center. We will continue to keep the community informed about the project as needed.

History: The former MGP operated from 1918 to 1929 providing a constant source of energy for the community’s lighting, heating and cooking needs. Some byproducts of the gas making process were left buried on-site as the plant was dismantled – a common practice before environmental regulations.

Site-related documents can also be found at:
Fresno County Free Library, 2420 Mariposa Street, Fresno (209-488-3195)