Manufactured gas plants
Former Fillmore manufactured gas plant – Marina District, San Francisco
The former Fillmore manufactured gas plant (MGP) operated in what is now known as the Marina District in San Francisco, near the area west of Fillmore and Bay Streets. A portion of this facility was located on an area now covered by asphalt at the southeast corner of the Marina Middle School property.
PG&E was formed in October 1905 and owned the Fillmore MGP from then until April 1906, when the MGP was damaged in the Great Earthquake. After the earthquake severely damaged the Marina MGPs, the former MGP properties as well as other properties in the area were acquired by the City for the development of the 1915 Pan Pacific Exposition. Residential and commercial development followed.
It is probable that much of the materials left from plant operations are underground where direct contact from the public has been unlikely. This is due to the filling and grading that took place after the earthquake, and the filling and grading that took place following the burning and subsequent demolition of the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition.
In 2010, PG&E began a voluntary program under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) to sample for residual materials that may be present at the site of the former Fillmore manufactured gas plant. If DTSC determines that remediation activities are necessary, we’ll work closely with the agency, residents, property owners, and City health and environmental departments to design the most effective remediation program for the site. PG&E’s program includes two other former MGP locations in San Francisco, near the area north of Bay Street and Buchanan Street also in the Marina District and near the intersection of Beach Street and Powell Street in the Fisherman’s Wharf area.
Latest Update - Fieldwork
PG&E is conducting sampling and remediation work in the Marina District under the oversight of DTSC as part of our MGP program. Soil samples are collected from private properties where property owners provide access, as well as from public right-of-ways (with approval from the City and County of San Francisco), such as sidewalks.
Since 2010, remediation and restoration has been completed on five properties within the former Fillmore MGP footprint. PG&E works with residents and property owners to accommodate their individual circumstances and needs during remediation and restoration activities.
The information collected from the sampling and remediation will help PG&E in its effort to characterize conditions in the area, and will be made available to the public.
The Remedial Action Plan (RAP) for PG&E's former North Beach and Fillmore MGPs provides a general overview of the remedial alternatives for the sites.
Since 2010, PG&E has reached out to area residents, businesses and property owners and conducted several open houses. These efforts have been complemented with telephone outreach and direct mail to be sure the local community is fully informed of the planned work and has the opportunity to ask questions. Together with DTSC, we hosted a public meeting on the Remedial Action Plan in April 2012. Since then, PG&E and DTSC have hosted numerous public informational meetings, met individually and in small groups with residents and have a dedicated phone number, website and local community office to answer residents’ questions. DTSC also sends regular work notices to the neighborhood regarding sampling and remediation activities.
There is no indication that PG&E's former MGP sites pose any health concerns to the public, based on our testing, experience, and extensive review of medical literature.