Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Woodland Manufactured Gas Plant
PG&E is working to address environmental impacts at the site of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP) at Fourth and Main streets in Woodland, California. The MGP operated from 1871 to 1921. PG&E acquired the plant in 1905 when the company was formed, and operated it from about 1907 until its closure. PG&E used the site for a variety of company activities until the late 1930s. The parcels that housed the former plant were sold in mid-1955, and the remainder of the property was sold shortly thereafter. All work is being conducted voluntarily by PG&E and is being overseen by the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC).
Since spring 2012, PG&E has conducted several phases of environmental investigation work at the site to determine the extent of gas plant impacts to soil and groundwater. Based on investigation results, PG&E will determine if further investigation and/or site cleanup is needed. Work will be performed in a manner that minimizes impacts to the current property owners' business operations and the downtown community, to the greatest extent possible.
PG& will continue to keep the community informed about the project through fact sheets, work notices and other outreach, as appropriate.
- Site Investigation Work Notice - August 2014 (PDF, 567 KB)
- Site Investigation Work Notice - March 2013 (PDF, 72 KB)
- Site Investigation Work Notice - April 2012 (PDF, 90 KB)
- DTSC Resources & Contact Information
Site related documents can also be found at:
Woodland Public Library, 250 First Street, Woodland, (530) 661-5980