Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Oroville Manufactured Gas Plant
PG&E is working to address environmental impacts at the site of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP) at the corner of Huntoon and Montgomery Street in Oroville, California. The former Oroville MGP was constructed in 1878. PG&E acquired the gas plant in 1916 and ran the plant until a high-pressure gas main was built from the Marysville gas plant to Oroville in late 1926. The plant was later dismantled and PG&E sold the former gas plant property to the City of Oroville in 1964. Currently, the City uses the site for public parking and storm water pumping station. All work is being conducted voluntarily by PG&E and is being overseen by the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC).
Since 2010, PG&E has been conducting environmental investigations at the site to determine the extent of MGP impacts to soil, soil gas and groundwater. Upon completion of investigation work, a draft cleanup plan will be prepared. Prior to DTSC's approval of a cleanup plan, area businesses and residents will receive a fact sheet about the project and have an opportunity to comment on the proposed cleanup. It is anticipated that cleanup of the site will begin in 2017.
All work is coordinated closely with the City of Oroville and local merchants to minimize or avoid disrupting local businesses and community events. PG&E will continue to keep the community informed about this project through fact sheets, work notices and other outreach, as appropriate.
- Oroville KRCRTV News Segment – Digging Into the Past in Search of Contamination – March 2014 (PDF, 158 KB)
- Oroville Mercury-Register Article – Environmental Experts Search Ground Under Oroville Parking Lot, Side Street – March 2014 (PDF, 231 KB)
- Oroville Mercury-Register Article – PG&E Work Begins at Old Gas Plant Site – February 2014 (PDF, 199 KB)
- Work Notice – February 2014 (PDF, 239 KB)
- Fact Sheet – December 2013 (PDF, 133 KB)
- Oroville Mercury-Register Article - Oroville Business Owners Informed About Historic Gas Plant-Related Community Survey - October 2013
- Work Notice – September 2012 (PDF, 183 KB)
- Work Notice – November 2011 (PDF, 100 KB)
- Work Notice – October 2010
- DTSC Resources & Contact Information
Site-related documents can also be found at:
Butte County Library – Oroville, 1820 Mitchell Ave., Oroville (530-578-7641)