Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Colusa Manufactured Gas Plant
History: The former Colusa manufactured gas plant (MGP) operated at 105 Second Street in Colusa, California from 1886 to 1940. PG&E acquired the plant in 1906 and operated it until its closure. The site is now the location of PG&E's Colusa Service Center.
Overview: PG&E conducted several investigations of soil and groundwater at the site to determine the extent of remediation necessary to address residues left over from the historic operation of the gas plant. This work is part of a voluntary program under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC).
In 2013, PG&E completed cleanup work at the site. Over the course of five months nearly 3,700 cubic yards of soil was excavated from areas that contained old gas plant residues. Excavated areas were backfilled with clean fill material and the site was restored to its original condition. PG&E will continue to monitor groundwater for a five year period at which point DTSC will determine if groundwater monitoring is still necessary.
Community Benefits: Site restoration included landscaping near the planter areas on First, Second and Market streets with drought-tolerant native plants. PG&E worked with the Colusa Garden Club to develop a landscaping plan for the exterior areas of the site and the Garden Club continues to maintain these areas under a partnership that is the first of its kind in California between a public entity and a private garden club.
Sustainability: Sustainable practices are important to PG&E and we try to reduce our carbon footprint on environmental remediation projects to the greatest extent possible. During this work we recycled a total of 960 tons of material. This project also contributed $619,900 to the local economy, which included hiring five local laborers.
- Work Notice – January 2013 (PDF, 255 KB)
- Work Notice – September 2012 (PDF, 324 KB)
- Work Notice – July 2011 (PDF, 99 KB)
- Fact Sheet - March 2011 (PDF, 393 KB)
- DTSC Resources & Contact Information
Site-related documents can also be found at:
Colusa County Library – Reference Desk, 738 Market Street, Colusa (530-458-7671)