Explore energy-saving ideas in the Business Resource Center
Fry smart and save
If it comes from a fryer, chances are, it will be a crowd-pleaser. But the energy waste that can come from inefficient fryer operations is a different story. According to ENERGY STAR®, the annual cost to operate just one commercial fryer is often more than the annual energy bill of an average U.S. home! Improving your fryers’ energy efficiency will not only help save you money on your monthly energy bill, but it can shorten cook times, speed up production time and even extend oil life.
One way to ensure that your restaurant gets all of those benefits is to upgrade to ENERGY STAR® certified fryers. Thanks to advanced burner and heat exchanger designs, standard-sized ENERGY STAR fryers are up to 30% more energy efficient than traditional models. That translates to annual energy bill savings of about $100 for electric fryers and over $400 for gas fryers.
While you’ll maximize savings if you upgrade your equipment, there are other ways you can increase fryer performance and achieve some energy savings. Here are a few steps you can take to improve your fryers’ performance and cut costs:
- Decrease idle time – The PG&E Food Service Technology Center (FSTC) reports that commercial fryers typically spend 75% of the day idling. By removing four hours of idle time every day, restaurants could achieve annual savings of about $350 with electric fryers and $250 with gas fryers.
- Use frypot covers during idle times – Covering fryers will help prevent air from breaking down the oil.
- Turn off back-up fryers during non-peak times – Simply turning off back-up fryers can lead to a savings of up to $150 a year.
- Don’t overload fryers – By preventing fryers from having too much food in them, cooking time and product quality can be better maintained.
- Calibrate fryer controls – Adjusting a fryer’s controls ensures it’s operating at the proper temperature.
- Commit to routine maintenance – General upkeep can help your equipment run efficiently, limit expensive repairs and extend its life.
PG&E rebates can help you save even more money. Check out the latest incentives in our Food Service Rebate Catalog.*
There is also financing to help with additional costs. PG&E’s Energy Efficiency Financing program offers zero-percent loans, ranging from $5,000 to $100,000, with up to five years for repayment.**
Whether you’re ready to upgrade your fryers or looking for more energy-saving advice, turn to PG&E. We can help you secure appliance rebates and get your questions answered. Explore these resources for more energy-saving tips and incentives:
- The PG&E Food Service Technology Center
- Make the flip to energy-efficient equipment infographic
- 7 Products to Help Quick-Service Restaurants Achieve Sustainability
*Rebates and incentives subject to change.
**Subject to customer eligibility and program requirements. For more information, visit pge.com/eef.
Energy Advisor eNewsletter
Sign up for PG&E's monthly Energy Advisor for Business eNewsletter to stay informed of the latest news and tools for managing your business's energy use and costs.