PLEASE NOTE: The open enrollment period for the MHP Utility Upgrade program is closed. You can get more information. Visit Mobilehome Park Utility Upgrade Program.
PG&E introduced a program for MHPs with aging energy systems. The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) approved the pilot program. The goal is to upgrade 10 percent of California’s 381,000 MHP spaces. This three-year program is designed to:
- Ensure your mobile home has a safe and reliable energy system.
- Replace your aging energy system with a newer one. The new system is owned and operated by PG&E.
- Provide MHP residents with direct PG&E energy services.
Discover the benefits of the program for park owners
There are many benefits to the MHP Utility Upgrade program if you are a MHP owner. These benefits include:
- Safety and reliability. The new system gives your residents reliable delivery of PG&E energy services.
- Peace of mind. PG&E installs the new distribution system. After installation, PG&E also manages the system.
- Reduced time and worry. You no longer need to read your gas or electric meters. You can also avoid billing residents or answering questions about utility services and programs.
- Improved park quality. You can invest in other amenities for your residents.
- Minimal costs. The program covers the cost of installing new utility services to new mobile homes.
NOTE: MHP owners are responsible for minor costs. These costs can include:
- Reconnecting services such as gas flex connectors.
- Obtaining permits from the California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD). These costs can also include obtaining building, environment and other permits.
- Preventing environmental damage.
- Removing aboveground legacy systems.
Discover the benefits of the program for park residents
The program also benefits MHP residents. These benefits include:
- Direct customer service. You can contact PG&E directly with concerns. We can answer your questions about energy usage. Contact PG&E energy service specialists over the phone or online.
- Upgraded natural gas and electric services. The upgrades allow you to run certain appliances you couldn’t previously run. The appliances include air conditioners and gas stoves.
- Access to cost-saving programs. Many PG&E energy-efficiency programs become available to you.
- Simple and easy utility transition. During the transition to direct utilities, PG&E waives your initial credit checks and security deposits.
Learn what’s next for the MHP Utility Upgrade program
Systems have been selected by the CPUC and PG&E is working with respective MHP owners. We plan to implement these changes through December 2017.
MHP owners must hire a licensed contractor to perform all “beyond-the-meter” work. This work includes plumbing and electrical construction needed to connect new meters to each mobile home.
For more information about MHP Utility Upgrade program resources, visit Mobilehome Park Utility Upgrade Program – Frequently Asked Questions.