Medical Baseline Program guidelines
Reduce your energy bill through the Medical Baseline Program
To Qualify for the Medical Baseline Program
A California-licensed medical practitioner must certify that a full-time resident in your home has one of the following medical issues:
- Dependency on life-support equipment at home. For a list of equipment, visit Life-Support Equipment
- Paraplegic, hemiplegic or quadriplegic condition
- Multiple sclerosis with special heating and/or cooling needs
- Scleroderma with special heating needs
- Life-threatening illness or compromised immune system, and special heating and/or cooling are needed to sustain life or prevent medical deterioration
PLEASE NOTE: Life-support equipment includes any medical device used to sustain life. Devices include equipment used for mobility, per a licensed medical practitioner. Equipment is for home-use only. Equipment used for therapy generally does not qualify.
Approval of your Medical Baseline Program application still requires you to continue paying your monthly PG&E bill. Nonpayment can result in the disconnection of your utility services.
Notify PG&E if someone living full-time in your home is on life-support equipment
When you apply for the Medical Baseline Program, let us know if a full-time resident is using a life-support device so we can place a special code on your account. PG&E attempts to notify customers with this life-support code if service will be interrupted due to the following conditions:
- Planned maintenance
- Planned repair
- Planned interruptions
- Rolling blackouts
We cannot give you advanced notice of unscheduled power interruptions. Such interruptions are typically caused by:
- Equipment failure
PG&E will do everything in our power to help avoid any inconvenience to you.
Apply for additional Medical Baseline allowance
If the initial Medical Baseline Allowances do not meet your medical energy needs, please contact PG&E at 1-800-743-5000. You must complete or have previously completed the Medical Baseline Allowance application.
Send your application to:
Attention: Medical Baseline
P.O. Box 8329
Stockton, CA 95208
Links to Medical Baseline Program Application forms can be found below. Or you can request an application and obtain more information about the Medical Baseline Program by contacting PG&E at 1-800-743-5000 or by completing our online contact form.
Hearing-impaired customers with Telecommunications Devices for the Deaf (TDDs) may call California Relay Service at 7-1-1.
Medical Baseline Application and General Program Information
Download and print one of the following applications or general program information sheets to sign up for the PG&E Medical Baseline Allowance program:
Access additional resources
Find more programs that can offer help.
- Breathe Easy Solutions™ can help you manage your energy bills. Download PG&E Programs to Manage Your Energy Bills (PDF, 213 KB).
- We want to work with you to help resolve your bill and avoid shutoffs. Visit Customer Outreach Program Before Disconnect.
- If having your service shut off would harm you, we can help. Visit Vulnerable Customer.
- Illness and hardships make it tough to pay bills. If you worry about someone’s ability to pay, we can notify you when payment is late. Sign up for our Third-Party Notification program. Visit Third-Party Notification.
- Make a healthy connection. WEConnect is a program that links you to health-related services. Visit WEConnect.