PLEASE NOTE: On December 15, 2022, the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) issued a decision to modify the state's solar program. The new Solar Billing Plan will be in effect and impact only new solar customers that submit an application after April 14th, 2023.

Here are answers to frequently asked questions (PDF, 1.0 MB).

Find resources for interconnecting larger systems to the PG&E grid

Are you installing a larger self-generation system (more than 30 kilowatts)? Or, do you want to apply energy credits produced by a single generator to several electric accounts? Use the information on this page to find out how to interconnect the following types of systems to the PG&E energy grid:

  • Solar
  • Wind
  • Fuel cells
  • Storage (e.g., batteries)
  • Multiple technology-generating systems

Understand the different programs

Review the following program resources to get key information about eligibility, documents needed for applications, interconnection requirements, costs and other considerations.

Expanded Net Energy Metering (NEM2EXP). This program is for residential and commercial generators that are sized greater than 30 kilowatt (kW). Visit Expanded Net Energy Metering (NEMEXP).

Net Energy Metering Aggregation (NEM2A). This program allows a single customer with multiple meters on the same property, or adjacent or contiguous properties, to use renewable generation to serve the aggregated load behind all eligible meters. Visit Net Energy Metering Aggregation (NEMA).

Net Energy Metering Virtual (NEM2V). This program allows a building owner or manager to interconnect a renewable generator to serve multiple tenant meters that are individually metered. The program enables the receipt of bill credits to offset each benefiting account bill. Visit Virtual Net Energy Metering (NEMV).

Net Energy Metering for Fuel Cells (NEMFC). This program has an optional rate schedule for customers who install fuel cell generators. Visit Net Energy Metering for Fuel Cells (NEMFC).

Net Energy Metering Multiple Tariff (NEM2-MT). This program is for customers who operate a NEM-eligible generator in conjunction with another NEM-eligible generator, non-export generator, or NEM fuel cell generator. Visit Net Energy Metering Multiple Tariff (NEMMT).

Option S Rate Modifier for Storage. Option S is a special rate modifier for customers with storage who are on either a B-19V, B-19 or B-20 rate. There is a 50MW cap on Option S enrollment under each of the three rate schedules. For more information on Option S, visit Option S cap tracker.

Non-Export. This interconnection program is available to all types of generator technologies and sizes when energy is not exported to the grid or when uncompensated export is acceptable. Visit Non-Export interconnection.

Energy Storage. As a generator, energy storage can be interconnected under Non-Export or can be paired with a NEM system, if it is applied for under the NEM Multiple Tariff (NEM2-MT) program. Visit Energy Storage.

Renewable Energy Self-Generation Bill Credit Transfer (RES-BCT). This program is for local governmental entities that want to use renewable generation to serve onsite load and allocate the remaining credits to other facilities within the same local government. Visit Renewable Energy Self-Generation Bill Credit Transfer (RES-BCT).

Visit NEM 2 Program Introduction

Learn about NEM 2 and updates

Find out more about the program and follow important updates.

Get additional help

Get additional help

For questions about the interconnection process, call our Solar Customer Service Center at 1-877-743-4112.

If you have concerns about your interconnection project and are unable to resolve issues with your Interconnection Manager, you may contact PG&E's appointed Rule 21 Ombudsman, Michael Mulvey, at 916-203-6459 or

Consumer Protection Requirement

Solar Consumer Protection Guide with Customer Signature Required for InterconnectionOpens in new Window.

The California Solar Consumer Protection Guide is available in the following languages: EnglishSpanishChinese, Korean, Tagalog, and Vietnamese. Find these documents at the California Public Utility CommissionOpens in new Window..