Scroll through the following requently asked questions

Keep your project on track. Find important information and helpful answers about Building and Renovation Services.

Contacting PG&E representatives and Building and Renovation Services

Find contact information for your project.

Use the email address and phone number that your PG&E representative provided. If your PG&E representative is unavailable for a day or more, you may be redirected to another representative. You can also call the Building and Renovation Service Center at 1-877-743-7782.

Generally, your PG&E representative is the connection between you and Building and Renovation Services. If your PG&E representative is not available, call the Building and Renovation Service Center at 1-877-743-7782.

Mail your signed contract and advance in the return envelopes included in your contract packet. Mailing the documents in these envelopes may help avoid possible processing delays. Local PG&E offices cannot accept this paperwork.

If you misplace the return envelope for your signed PG&E design contract, mail it to:

PO Box 997340
Sacramento, CA 95899-7340

If you misplace the return envelope for your engineering advance payment, mail it to:

Bill Print Mail and Payment Processing Facility
PO Box 997310
Sacramento, CA 95899-7340

Many local agencies directly forward the results to PG&E. Check with the agency that performs your inspection.
If you’re responsible for forwarding inspection results to PG&E, then refer to the info outlined in the following list for instructions by region.

Send Northern Region inspection results to:

Sacramento Resource Management Center
FAX: 1-800-700-5723

Counties in the Northern Region include:

  • Alameda
  • Butte
  • Colusa
  • Contra Costa
  • El Dorado
  • Glenn
  • Humboldt
  • Lake
  • Lassen
  • Marin
  • Mendocino
  • Modoc
  • Napa
  • Nevada
  • Placer
  • Plumas
  • Sacramento
  • San Francisco
  • San Mateo
  • Shasta
  • Sierra
  • Siskiyou
  • Sonoma
  • Sutter
  • Tehama
  • Trinity
  • Yolo
  • Yuba

Send Southern Region panel inspection results to the Fresno Resource Management Center.
FAX: 1-800-700-5722

Counties in the Southern Region include:

  • Alpine
  • Amador
  • Calaveras
  • Fresno
  • Kern
  • Kings
  • Madera
  • Mariposa
  • Merced
  • Monterey
  • San Benito
  • San Bernardino
  • San Joaquin
  • San Luis Obispo
  • Santa Barbara
  • Santa Clara
  • Santa Cruz
  • Stanislaus
  • Tulare
  • Tuolumne

Get help with managing your installation project

Find important information to keep your project running smoothly.

Service connection time varies depending on the complexity of your project and the number of projects we have in progress. Connection can occur up to six weeks from the time that you submit your application.

You will be contacted by a PG&E representative within three days after we receive your application for gas or electric service. If it’s necessary to schedule a site visit, the typical wait time for an appointment is two weeks.

Any trenching, plumbing or electrical work that is required to prepare for your new gas or electric service is your responsibility. You may do this work if you are qualified, or you may choose to hire a licensed contractor.

Building and renovation projects are subject to many standards. The State of California issues plumbing, electrical and mechanical codes. Each city and county has its own rules.

You’re responsible for securing all required permits and arranging inspections. We verify that you’ve met these requirements, and may perform additional inspections before connecting your gas or electric service.

The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) regulates the installation and delivery of gas and electric services. PG&E does not establish services until gas piping and electric services facilities conform to CPUC regulations. In addition to CPUC regulations, PG&E has further standards to ensure that we provide safe and reliable power.

The SACAC is the estimate of costs that you list on Form 79-1003. You must complete and sign this form when you request gas or electric service. If you hire a contractor for your project, your contractor should estimate this cost for you.

If you are working on a construction project or using electrical equipment at your site before regular electric service is installed, you probably need temporary power. You can get more info on requesting temporary power. Download Electric Service Temporary Construction Power (PDF, 554 KB).

To request temporary power, call 1-877-743-7782 or apply online. Visit Customer Connections Online.

Many manufacturers include energy usage info in user manuals or on the equipment. Your plumbing or electrical contractor can also help you determine these loads.

Follow these guidelines for installing your gas meter.

PLEASE NOTE: PG&E must approve the placement of your gas meter.

  • Place your gas meter outside of the structure in an easily accessible area that is protected from corrosion and other damage, including possible vandalism
  • When the meter must be placed near oncoming vehicle traffic, install the meter as far as possible from traffic or surround the meter with barrier posts or bollards
  • When possible, locate the meter in a breezeway that is well ventilated by outside air. Ideally, one end of the breezeway opens into a large, unobstructed space and the other end includes two vents. At a minimum, both ends must have vents at the top and bottom of the space
  • When possible, hire a qualified plumber to help you install your gas meter in the ideal location

Find preferred gas meter locations. Visit Electric and Gas Service Requirements.

When you’re requesting electric service along with gas service, ensure that there is adequate separation between the gas and electric meters.

Yes, you must be present when your gas meter is set.
When we set the meter, we also check your appliances and light any pilot lights.

We recommend that you hire a qualified electrician to help avoid common problems in installing panels.

In areas with overhead lines, we install a drop from the distribution point to an attachment point on your property. This drop must meet our specifications, including clearance from the ground and distance from electric service facilities. If possible, the connecting span should not cross any adjacent properties. The electrical panel for underground service should be attached to a wall, if possible.

NOTE: PG&E must approve the locations of all transformers and meters. We must also approve the sizes, types and quantities of conduit.

Find preferred electric meter locations. Visit Electric and Gas Services Requirements.

If you’re also requesting a gas service, ensure that you have adequate separation between the gas and electric meters. For details, reference Section 2 Gas Service from the following file. Download Section 2 Gas Service (PDF, 497 KB).

You need not be present when the meter is accessible to our crews. However, if your electrical panel is energized by jumpers from an old panel, the jumpers must be removed by a licensed electrician before we can set the meter.

We recommend that you hire an experienced trenching contractor to avoid typical problems. You can reference our guide to get started. Download Building and Renovations Services Trenching (PDF, 271 KB).

Contact your PG&E rep for the phone number to your local trench inspection desk. Your local trench inspection desk can help you schedule an appointment with a PG&E trench inspector. You must be present during the trench inspection appointment. After the inspection is complete, the inspector provides you or your trenching contractor with the results. You are notified if any additional work is needed to complete your project.

Making payments for construction services

Find answers to questions on how to pay for construction services and taxes associated with your project.

PG&E accepts the following forms of payment:

  • Check
  • Cashier's check
  • Money order

No, we require full payment before beginning construction or installing a meter.

The ITCC was established as part of the 1986 Federal Tax Reform Act. ITCC requires the payment of tax on the advance payment that PG&E collects for installing facilities. We must collect this tax according to CPUC guidelines.