Save and optimize with the PG&E Retrocommissioning (RCx) Program
Improve equipment, lighting and control system performance
Retrocommissioning (RCx) identifies areas for performance improvement in your facility’s equipment, lighting and control systems. Then, RCx adjusts this performance. Retrofitting involves replacing outdated equipment. RCx focuses on improving the efficiency of existing equipment and systems. RCx projects can make a positive difference in your facility’s work environment. They can also extend the service life of your equipment.
The PG&E Retrocommissioning (RCx) Program offers business solutions and connects you with experts to ensure that your facilities, and the equipment and systems within them, are running in peak condition for optimal energy savings. Get more info about the program. Download RCx Fact Sheet Retrocommissioning Program (PDF, 505 KB).
Discover RCx program benefits
PG&E pays you directly, based on achieved annual energy savings at $0.08/kWh, $1/therm and $100/on-peak kW*, up to 50 percent of the total project cost. These energy savings are estimates, and PG&E pays you final amounts after completing the project approval process.
PG&E engineering resources provide limited support to verify that the RCx measures were installed per industry best practices. We also provide resources to identify and analyze other energy-saving opportunities involving demand response, retrofitting and benchmarking projects.
Understand program eligibility and process
Candidates must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Receive gas or electric service from PG&E
- Pay a California public purpose surcharge on their energy statements
- Participate in an initial phone screen or on-site assessment
- Own or operate a high-energy usage facility that has at least 50,000 square feet of conditioned space or that consumes 1,000,000 kWh or 50,000 therms per year
- Be willing, in most cases, to spend a minimum of $25,000 on all reasonable and eligible RCx measures identified as having a simple payback in less than or equal to one year
- Be willing to spend typically between 8-16 hours documenting the facility’s energy usage involving multiple site visits
- Grant PG&E access to the facility’s billing data to establish an initial benchmark rating
- Allow access to the facility for ongoing program assessment, monitoring and measurement purposes
Understand how the program works
Following is an explanation of how we work with you to apply, evaluate and execute your project.
Start the application process
Using your billing data and RCx Program Application, PG&E scores your facility's candidacy. If your facility is eligible, a PG&E representative schedules an on-site evaluation assessment.
Evaluate the project
If your facility is accepted into the RCx program, a PG&E engineer conducts a thorough audit and produces a prioritized report, listing recommended measures, estimated project costs, savings and rebates offer, and payback period.
Carry out your plan, verify and receive your payment
You work with your PG&E RCx Team to choose which measures to implement. The RCx team provides help with reviewing bids, documentation, training and limited measure commissioning support, as requested. PG&E confirms the project is complete, verifies the energy savings and processes your payment based on verified savings.
Get more information
Access the following resources for more info about the program:
We encourage you to call PG&E before submitting your application and other required documentation. Contact your PG&E Account Representative or call the Business Customer Service Center at 1-800-468-4743. After you talk to a PG&E representative, complete, sign and email, FAX or mail your application.