Former Lodi Manufactured Gas Plant

The former Lodi manufactured gas plant (MGP) operated from 1913 until 1928 at 712 South Sacramento Street in Lodi, California. PG&E acquired the plant in 1926 and operated it until its closure. PG&E sold the property in 1956 and it was used for a variety of commercial/industrial purposes until PG&E repurchased it in 2006 to conduct investigation and remediation activities. The site is situated in a mixed-use commercial/residential area and is currently vacant.


 site before remediation


PG&E conducted several phases of investigation of soil and groundwater at the site to determine the extent of remediation necessary to address impacts from historical MGP activities. This project is part of a voluntary program under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC).


 site after remediation


From January to June 2014, PG&E completed environmental cleanup work at the site. Based on investigation results and with DTSC’s approval, over 20,000 tons of impacted soil was removed from the site and disposed of at an off-site landfill. Excavated areas were backfilled with clean soil and the site was restored with crushed rock.


Upon completion of cleanup work, new sidewalks including curbs and gutters were constructed as part of site restoration. This project also contributed over $1.1 million to the local economy, which included approximately $900,000 for local construction materials and services and over $220,000 for equipment rentals, supplies, lodging and meals.


Sustainable practices are important to PG&E. We try to reduce our carbon footprint on environmental remediation projects to the greatest extent possible. During this work, we reduced greenhouse gas emission by 93 tons and recycled 467 tons of material.

Site-related documents can also be found at:
Lodi Public Library, 201 West Locust Street, Lodi (209-333-5566)