Project overview: In early 2017, PG&E will begin a roughly 16 month project to address contaminated soil at the site of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP) located on Mariposa Street, between F and G streets, in Fresno, California (site). The California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) oversees this voluntary project and work is coordinated with the San Joaquin Air Pollution Control District and the City and County of Fresno.
Work includes the remediation of roughly 40,000 tons of contaminated soil through a combination of excavation and off-site disposal, and an on-site sustainable treatment that uses heat to vaporize former gas plant residues. This approach minimizes truck traffic and the amount of material being placed in landfills, and aligns with area land uses.
Former Fresno-2 MGP around 1899.
Nearby gas infrastructure improvements: In October 2016, crews will remove a small area of soil impacted by historic gas-making activities located along Mariposa Street near China Alley. As part of this work, PG&E gas crews will install Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) equipment. SCADA is technology enhancing the company’s ability to remotely monitor and control natural gas flowing through its pipelines. Upon completion of installation activities, excavations will be backfilled with clean soil. PG&E anticipates this work will last four to six weeks.
Public safety and outreach: Safety is of utmost importance to PG&E. Work will be conducted in a way that protects the health and safety of workers and the community, and minimizes impacts to the greatest extent possible. These measures include air monitoring during soil removal activities, actively managing dust, working during City-approved hours, using appropriately sized equipment, and using flaggers to safely manage truck, car and pedestrian traffic while trucks enter and exit the site.
PG&E will continue to keep the community informed about the project through fact sheets, work notices and other outreach, as appropriate.
Site history: The former Fresno-2 MGP operated from 1881 to 1919, when natural gas became available. PG&E acquired the property in 1905, and the plant was closed and dismantled in 1919. Today, the site consists of a commercial business, former restaurant and a parking lot.
There is no indication that PG&E's former MGP sites pose any health concerns to the public, based on our testing, experience, and extensive review of medical literature.