Manufactured gas plants
Former Eureka manufactured gas plant
Project status: In February 2018, PG&E completed an approximately year-long environmental cleanup project to address contaminated soil at the site of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP) that operated close to eighty years ago near West 14th and Railroad Streets in Eureka, California. Work included a combination of on-site treatment and off-site disposal of soil containing chemical residues from historical gas-making operations; this allowed for site remediation while minimizing impacts to the community. Crews safely removed roughly 5,231 cubic yards of soil containing waste and stabilized approximately 7,800 cubic yards of soil with a Portland and slag mixture. The site was restored with grading, paving and a vegetated stormwater swale. All work was performed under the North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board approved cleanup plan and in accordance with North Coast Unified Air Quality District and City of Eureka permits.
PG&E’s cleanup work has prepared the site for future redevelopment. As part of this work, we installed new asphalt paving.
Community Protection Measures: Safety is of the utmost importance to PG&E and work was conducted in a way that protected workers and the community. This included conducting most of the work in a large negative-pressure tent to minimize odor and dust impacts; using dust control measures such as water and foam; conducting air and vibration monitoring during work activities; working during City-approved hours; using appropriately sized equipment; and using flaggers to safely manage truck, car and pedestrian traffic as trucks entered and exited the site.
The former Eureka manufactured gas plant in June 1948.
Site history: The MGP and a steam electric power plant began operating at the site in 1902. PG&E acquired the site in 1927, shut down the MGP operations in the early 1940s and removed the operating structures before selling the site in the 1960s.
The former MGP site now consists of a privately-owned parcel operating as a lumber yard on the west side of Railroad Avenue, and a PG&E-owned parcel on the east side of Railroad Avenue used for general construction and substation operations. In 2001, PG&E completed cleanup of the company-owned parcel, and in 1997 and 2012, cleaned and closed in-place former underground fuel oil pipelines beneath Railroad Avenue and Waterfront Drive. In fall 2016, PG&E safely relocated a section of natural gas pipeline that passed beneath the site to enhance long-term operational safety once the property is remediated.
There is no indication that PG&E's former MGP sites pose any health concerns to the public, based on our testing, experience, and extensive review of medical literature.