Diablo Canyon Power Plant
Welcome to Diablo Canyon
Diablo Canyon Power Plant is a safe, clean, reliable and vital energy resource for California. The plant provides low-cost, carbon-free electricity for more than three million people and plays a key role in allowing PG&E to deliver some of the cleanest energy in the nation to its customers. Click on the links below to learn more about Diablo Canyon’s operations and license extension process.
A Vital Economic Engine
PG&E’s Diablo Canyon Power Plant is a vital local economic engine and brings significant benefits to San Luis Obispo and Northern Santa Barbara counties.
- Diablo Canyon contributed $919.8 million to the region in 2011 (direct, indirect and induced benefits).
- Diablo Canyon helps to make PG&E the largest private employer in the area with more than 1,400 workers and a payroll of $202 million in 2011.
- Diablo Canyon spent $22 million locally in 2011 on goods and services.
- The plant is the largest property taxpayer in San Luis Obispo County - $25 million for the fiscal year 2011/2012 which helps fund schools, public work projects, public safety, and health and other vital services.
New Report documents How PG&E’s Diablo Canyon Plant powers national, state and local economies through positive economic benefits.
A Good Neighbor
At PG&E, we pride ourselves in doing more than just a job – we strive to provide the best service to our customers and remain good neighbors to the communities in which we work and live. Diablo Canyon is no exception.
- In 2011, PG&E made charitable contributions of approximately $1,100,000 to more than 90 nonprofit organizations in San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties.
- PG&E employees also contributed more than $429,000 to local nonprofit organizations through the company's "Campaign for the Community" program. Those contributions to educational and environmental organizations were matched by PG&E.
- PG&E employees also volunteer thousands of hours of their personal time each year to after-school athletic programs, environmental organizations, churches and other community organizations.
Taking Care of the Environment
Nuclear power plants like Diablo Canyon emit no greenhouse gasses during the production of electricity.
- Diablo Canyon is located on one of the most scenic and habitat-rich coastlines in the country. It is surrounded by roughly 12,000 acres of land that is managed by PG&E and largely maintained in a natural state as a home to many species of plant and animal wildlife that thrive on land, as well as in the ocean and intertidal zones. PG&E’s responsible stewardship of this precious natural resource allows for scientists and others to explore its habitat and ecology.
- Power produced at Diablo Canyon adds to the region’s energy diversity, reducing dependence on a single source of electricity.
Diablo Canyon Newsroom
- Diablo Canyon Ground Motion Characterization Model Update Workshop
- Diablo Canyon Unit 1 Begins Scheduled Refueling and Maintenance Outage
- PG&E's Diablo Canyon Unit 2 Returns to Service
- PG&E Teams With San Luis Obispo To Save Money And Electricity
- Unit 2 at PG&E's Diablo Canyon Power Plant Safely Shut Down Following Electrical Disturbance
- View all News Releases
Articles and Perspectives About Diablo Canyon
Diablo Canyon Economic Impact Study
Learn about the positive economic benefits of Diablo Canyon.