Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Watsonville - 1 Manufactured Gas Plant
As part of a voluntary program under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), PG&E is investigating the site of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP) that operated at 618 Main Street in Watsonville.
Investigations conducted at this site have identified residues from the historical gas making process in onsite soils. A final Removal Action Work Plan (PDF, 5.8 MB) was approved by DTSC (PDF, 212 KB) in October 2011. Site remediation work began in late February 2012 and is now complete.
The Watsonville-1 MGP operated from 1871 until the early 1900’s, when the Watsonville-2 MGP at 14 Walker Street started its operations. The Watsonville-1 site was later used for a variety of commercial purposes, including an auto dealership and repair shop. PG&E acquired the property in 1954 and used it as a customer service center until 1989 when the property was sold.
- With a Last-Minute Helping Hand, Cleanup Finishes in Time for Celebration; June 2012
- Work Notice - January 2012 (PDF, 88 KB)
- Fact Sheet – June 2011 (PDF, 222 KB)
- Public Notice – June 2011 (PDF, 136 KB)
- Removal Action Work Plan (PDF, 5.8 MB)
- Approved by DTSC (PDF, 212 KB)
- Draft Removal Action Workplan - June 2011 (PDF, 222 KB)
- Work Notice - September 2009
- DTSC Resources & Contact Information
Site-related documents can also be found at:
Watsonville Public Library, 275 Main Street, Suite 100, Watsonville (831-768-3400)