Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Vallejo Manufactured Gas Plant
A former manufactured gas plant operated from the late 1800s to 1930 near Curtola Parkway and Sonoma Blvd in Vallejo. PG&E acquired the gas plant in 1905 when the company was formed and operated it until 1930, at which time it was put on standby status. The MGP was largely dismantled in 1944.
Since PG&E sold the property in 1976 to the City of Vallejo, portions of the site have been used by Kaiser Steel Company for oil derrick construction, as an abandoned vehicle storage yard and for a wood creosote treatment operation. Other portions of the property have been used as a small boat launch and marina.
The City of Vallejo has owned the property for the last decade and is working on potential development. PG&E has been working with the City to conduct an environmental assessment of the property and to develop a cooperative approach to remediation of MGP and other industrial residues at the site.