Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Salinas Manufactured Gas Plant
PG&E has a voluntary manufactured gas plant (MGP) program, under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), to address potential environmental impacts of gas plants that operated between the late 1800s and early 1900s. This program includes the site of a former MGP that operated in an area of downtown Salinas bounded by Bridge Alley, East Lake Street, Bridge Street and the railroad tracks.
PG&E conducted a second phase of investigation at the former Salinas MGP site in summer 2011. Based on investigation results (PDF, 4.1 MB) and with DTSC's approval (PDF, 247 KB), PG&E is currently conducting additional investigations, including the collection of groundwater samples and additional soil samples, to determine the extent of residues from historical gas plant operations and if remediation is necessary.
PG&E will keep the community informed of progress at the site through work notices and other outreach as appropriate.
The former Salinas MGP operated from 1879 to 1929. PG&E acquired the MGP in 1927 and operated it through 1929. The plant served as a gas storage facility until the mid-1960s. PG&E sold most of the former gas plant property in the 1960s to several owners. These properties are now either vacant or being used for commercial purposes. PG&E operates a gas regulator station on a small parcel still owned by the company.
- DTSC Resources & Contact Information
- Work Notice – December 2010 (13.10 ENGLISH.PDF, 128 KB)
- Work Notice – June 2011 (PDF, 101 KB)
Site-related documents can also be found at:
Cesar Chavez Library, Sherwood School, 110 S. Wood Street, Salinas, CA 93905, (831) 809-8050