Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Sacramento Manufactured Gas Plant
As part of a voluntary program under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), PG&E is working to remediate a former manufactured gas plant (MGP) site in Sacramento, between Interstate 5 and the Sacramento River, near the former intersection of Front and T streets.
PG&E’s site investigation in the 1990s resulted in an approved remedial action (cleanup) plan to remove impacted soil above the groundwater table, install a cap to protect against public exposure to gas plant residues in deeper and inaccessible soils, and operate a system to remove and treat groundwater at the site, all of which were successfully implemented.
In July 2011, DTSC approved a Remedial Action Plan to enhance the current groundwater remedy to reduce and control the source of contamination in the groundwater and soil. The remedial action will treat soil within the impacted groundwater zone by using a cement mixture to solidify and immobilize the MGP impacts. Remediation began in spring 2012 and is expected to be completed by the end of the year.
The former Sacramento MGP operated from 1873 to 1956 and was one of the larger manufactured gas plants in PG&E’s service territory. The land is owned by PG&E, and is currently fenced and vacant except for the groundwater cleanup system operating onsite.