Former Redwood City Gas Holder
PG&E is working to address environmental impacts at the site of a former gas storage container at 675 Jefferson Avenue in Redwood City, California. PG&E purchased the site in 1914 and built a storage container to store gas produced at manufactured gas plant (MGP) locations. The container later stored natural gas before it was delivered to customers. PG&E dismantled the gas storage container in 1959 and sold the property in 1961. A bank building was built on the property and a bank still operates on-site today. All work is being conducted voluntarily by PG&E and is being overseen by the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC).
From January 2010 to present, PG&E has conducted environmental investigations to evaluate the extent if any, of soil, soil gas (the air between soil particles), groundwater, and indoor air impacts from historical site activities. PG&E is currently conducting an environmental review of the investigation data and based on the results, a cleanup plan will be drafted, if necessary. Indoor and outdoor air samples have confirmed that employees at the bank are working in a safe environment. The pavement and bank building on-site prevent direct exposure to potential residues that may be found beneath the site.
PG&E will continue to keep the community informed about this project through fact sheets, work notices and other outreach, as appropriate. The company works closely with the property owner to minimize impacts to customers, including conducting work on weekends when the bank is closed.
- Work Notice – December 2012 (11.12.PDF, 105 KB)
- Work Notice – July 2011 (14.11.PDF, 98 KB)
- Work Notice – January 2010 (6.09.PDF, 81 KB)
- DTSC Resources & Contact Information
Site related documents can also be found at:
Redwood City Public Library, 1044 Middlefield Rd., Redwood City (650-780-7060)