Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Merced Manufactured Gas Plant
PG&E is working to address environmental impacts from historical operations at the site of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP), which operated at 560 West 15th Street in Merced, California. The MGP operated from 1883 to 1930, at which time natural gas became available and the plant was shut down and dismantled. PG&E acquired the property in 1930 and has since used it for service center operations. All work is being conducted voluntarily by PG&E and is being overseen by the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC).
DTSC approved a cleanup plan (called a Remedial Action Workplan or RAW) for the site in May 2014. The RAW was available for public review and comment from March 12 to April 10, 2014 prior to DTSC approval. Investigation work has taken place at the site since 2008 to determine the extent of MGP residues left in soil, soil gas (air in between soil particles) and groundwater.
The RAW dictates excavation and off-site disposal of approximately 8,700 tons of shallow, impacted soil. Roughly 1,500 tons of deeper soil will be treated on-site by adding a cement mixture to the soil to solidify the impacts in place. This approach is known as soil solidification and is a proven technology that PG&E and other companies have used successfully in cleanup projects. After the cleanup is conducted, the site will be restored and continue its current use as a service center.
PG&E is currently preparing detailed clean-up design drawings for DTSC review and approval. Cleanup work is anticipated to begin in 2015 and will last approximately nine months. PG&E will continue to keep the community informed about this project through fact sheets, work notices and other outreach, as appropriate.
- DTSC Fact Sheet – March 2014 (20.14.PDF, 402 KB)
- Work Notice – July 2008 (PDF, 53 KB)
- DTSC Resources & Contact Information
Site-related documents can also be found at:
Merced County Library, 2100 O Street, Merced (209-385-7643)