Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Madera Manufactured Gas Plant
As part of a voluntary program under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), PG&E has investigated and remediated the site of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP), historically located at the intersection of East Ninth and South E Streets in Madera. The site is now a parking lot for a PG&E-owned construction yard.
Remediation and site restoration was completed in October 2011 by removal of contaminated soil. PG&E conducted a post-remediation evaluation in its June 2012 Onsite Remediation Closure Report and verified that our goal of unrestricted site use was achieved. DTSC agreed with this determination in a June 2012 approval letter.
The former Madera MGP operated from 1913 to 1931. PG&E purchased the property in 1931 from the company now known as the Southern California Gas Company, which had previously purchased it from Madera Gas Company. PG&E and Southern California Gas are working together on this project.
Site-related documents can also be found at:
Madera County Library –121 North G Street, Madera (559-675-7871)