Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Fresno-2 Manufactured Gas Plant
As part of a voluntary program under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), PG&E is investigating the site of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP), historically located at Mariposa Street, between F and G streets, in Fresno.
PG&E conducted the first phase of investigation at the property during April and May 2011 to determine if any past gas plant residues remain in the soil in the area where the plant once operated. The investigation included collection of samples of soil and soil gas (the air spaces between particles of soil). A second phase of investigation was conducted in December 2011 to supplement the data collected in the spring. PG&E is working with DTSC to review the sampling results and determine next steps.
All work was conducted in close coordination with the City of Fresno and with the surrounding community.
The former Fresno-2 MGP operated from 1881 to 1919. PG&E acquired the plant in 1905 when the company was formed. PG&E sold most of the MGP parcels in 1919, and the remainder in 1942. Under new ownership, the parcels comprising the site of the former gas plant have since been used for a variety of commercial and industrial purposes.