Manufactured Gas Plants

Former Eureka Manufactured Gas Plant

PG&E is working under the oversight of the North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board to investigate and remediate the site of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP) near 14th and Railroad Streets in Eureka.

The historic site includes two properties: a parcel that is no longer owned by PG&E and operates as a wood transfer facility, and a PG&E-owned parcel across Railroad Street that is used for general construction and substation operations.

Remediation of the PG&E property, which included soil removal and installation of a protective cap, was completed in 2001.

Since 2003, PG&E has conducted several phases of investigation on the non-owned parcel, which is where gas was manufactured during MGP operations. The purpose of the investigations has been to fully define the extent of MGP residues at the site. Importantly, investigation results indicate that there is no evidence of a health concern to current site workers.

Based on information collected during the investigations, PG&E is developing a remediation plan under the oversight of the Water Board. PG&E will present an evaluation of cleanup alternatives, which will be available for public review and comment in 2012. Following the open comment period, a remedial design will be developed, outlining the scope and schedule for the cleanup work.

PG&E received approval from the Water Board in early 2011 to identify and access approximately 2,300 feet of a non-operational fuel oil pipeline that was used in part to power the former MGP site. The work included removing any residual fuel oil, sealing the pipeline with grout and then abandoning it in place. This work was successfully completed in October 2011 and a report summarizing the abandonment activities was submitted to the Water Board in December 2011.

PG&E has also recently received approval from the Water Board to identify and access approximately 2,300 feet of a non-operational fuel oil pipeline that was used in part to power the former MGP site. Work will include removing any residual fuel oil, sealing the pipeline with grout and then abandoning it in place. This work is scheduled to take place during summer 2011.

PG&E has and will continue to reach out to local stakeholders and the surrounding community to provide project updates and address any questions or potential concerns.

An MGP and a steam electric power plant operated at this site from 1902 until the early 1940s. PG&E acquired the site in 1927 and sold it in the 1960s, after removing all operating facilities.


Additional Resources:

All MGP Locations
Chico Oakdale San Rafael
Colusa Oakland Santa Cruz
Daly City Oroville Santa Rosa
Eureka Red Bluff Selma
Fresno - 1 Redding St. Helena
Fresno - 2 Redwood City Stockton
Hollister Sacramento -1 Tracy
Lodi Salinas Turlock
Madera San Francisco - Adjacent To Potrero Vallejo
Marysville - 1 San Francisco - Beach Street Watsonville - 1
Merced San Francisco - Fillmore Watsonville - 2
Modesto - 1 San Francisco - North Beach Willows
Monterey San Francisco - Potrero Woodland
Napa San Luis Obispo - 1
  • Walk the Trails
  • My Energy