Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Woodland Manufactured Gas Plant
PG&E has a voluntary program, under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), to address the environmental impacts of manufactured gas plants (MGPs) that operated between the late 1800s and early 1900s. This program includes a former MGP site at Fourth and Main streets in Woodland.
PG&E is preparing a work plan to assess the potential impacts to soil and groundwater from historical operations at this site. The work plan is expected to be implemented in 2011, with remediation to follow, if needed. The investigation and possible cleanup of former MGP sites can range from two to five years depending on the extent of work needed.
Once work begins, the community will be informed of progress through work notices and other outreach as appropriate.
The Woodland plant operated from 1871 to 1921. PG&E acquired the MGP in 1905 when the company was formed, and operated it from around 1907 until its closure. PG&E used the site for a variety of company activities until the late 1930s. The parcels comprising the former plant were sold in mid-1955, with the remainder of the property sold shortly thereafter.