Manufactured Gas Plants

Former Willows Manufactured Gas Plant

PG&E has a voluntary manufactured gas plant (MGP) program, under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), to address the environmental impacts of plants that operated between the late 1800s and early 1900s. This program includes the site of a former plant at 310 E. Wood Street in Willows. The site is now the location of a PG&E service center.

PG&E completed remediation at this site in fall 2002, following a series of environmental investigations.

Remedial work included removal of impacted soil and installation of an asphalt cap to protect against potential public exposure to gas plant residues and to protect groundwater. PG&E continues to monitor groundwater conditions and inspects and maintains the cap annually, and reports results to DTSC.

The former Willows MGP operated on a portion of the site (known as “Parcel A”) from 1911 to 1944. The majority of the gas plant structures were dismantled in 1953. The only structures remaining today from the gas plant era are the main buildings on Parcel A. PG&E acquired a portion of the site (known as “Parcel C”) in 1931. No gas manufacturing operations occurred on Parcel C, according to historical information.


Additional Resources

All MGP Locations
Chico Oakdale San Rafael
Colusa Oakland Santa Cruz
Daly City Oroville Santa Rosa
Eureka Red Bluff Selma
Fresno - 1 Redding St. Helena
Fresno - 2 Redwood City Stockton
Hollister Sacramento -1 Tracy
Lodi Salinas Turlock
Madera San Francisco - Adjacent To Potrero Vallejo
Marysville - 1 San Francisco - Beach Street Watsonville - 1
Merced San Francisco - Fillmore Watsonville - 2
Modesto - 1 San Francisco - North Beach Willows
Monterey San Francisco - Potrero Woodland
Napa San Luis Obispo - 1
  • Carbon Calculator
  • Business Tools
  • Federal government agencies incentives