Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Stockton Manufactured Gas Plant
PG&E has a voluntary manufactured gas plant (MGP) program, under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), to address the environmental impacts of plants that operated between the late 1800s and early 1900s. This program includes a former MGP site at 530 South Center Street in Stockton. The site is currently the location of a PG&E service center and an electric substation.
PG&E completed remediation at this site in 2000, following a series of environmental investigations. Remedial work included removal of impacted soil and installation of an asphalt cap to protect against potential public exposure to gas plant residues and to protect site groundwater. PG&E continues to monitor groundwater conditions and conducts annual cap inspections and maintenance, and reports results to DTSC.
The former Stockton MGP operated from 1860 to 1930 on the portion of the site that is now a service center. PG&E acquired the site in 1927, put the plant on standby status in 1930, and shut down the plant in 1955. An electric substation was constructed on the non-MGP portion of the site in 1891, where a PG&E substation operates today.