Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Redding Manufactured Gas Plant
PG&E has a voluntary manufactured gas plant (MGP) program, under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), to address the environmental impacts of plants that operated between the late 1800s and early 1900s. This program includes the site of a former plant within the block bounded by Waldon, California, Gold and South streets in Redding.
Remediation of the site, which included soil removal and groundwater collection and treatment, took place in 2003 and 2004. PG&E continues to monitor groundwater conditions and reports results to DTSC.
The former Redding MGP operated from 1886 to 1947. PG&E acquired the plant in 1919 and operated it until its closure. The facility was then dismantled, except for the gas holder, which was removed in the early 1960s. PG&E later sold portions of the property, which under new ownership have since been used for a variety of commercial and industrial uses. A gas regulator station, which monitors and adjusts the pressure of natural gas pipelines, operates on the portion of the property still owned by PG&E.