Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Red Bluff Manufactured Gas Plant
As part of a voluntary program under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), PG&E is working to investigate and remediate environmental impacts at the site of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP) at 600 Rio Street in Red Bluff. A motel operated at the site until PG&E's 2010 purchase. PG&E removed the motel buildings in 2011 to facilitate investigation and remediation.
PG&E conducted investigations at the site in 2009 and 2010 to better understand site conditions. Data collected indicated that soil and groundwater underneath the site had been affected by historical gas plant operations. Importantly, the gas plant residues are underground where direct contact is unlikely.
DTSC has determined that the investigation is now complete, and a draft cleanup plan (called a draft Removal Action Workplan) is currently being prepared. Remediation is expected to begin in fall 2013.
PG&E will continue to keep the community informed of progress through work notices and other outreach as appropriate.
The former Red Bluff MGP operated from 1874 to 1947. PG&E acquired the plant in 1919 and operated it until its closure. All MGP equipment was removed by 1949. PG&E sold the property in 1959, three years before the motel was built on site.
Site-related documents can also be found at:
Tehama County Library - Reference Desk, 645 Madison Street, Red Bluff
(530-527-0604 ext. 105)